DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Outlet or switch -- what is this?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  SD515 
#1 ·
I have this gangbox in my living room that's about an appropriate height for where a switch would be (picture attached).. I would definitely guess switch if not for some other odd outlets around the room (there is a power outlet on a wall at about 6ft height, no idea what it's for). Is it a switch, is it an outlet, or something else?

I would like it to be a switch that controls one of the floor outlets (to control a lamp).. but I'm not sure whether to have someone come install a switch there, or if I should just buy one of those remote/wireless switches and just cover this bad boy up.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Given the choice between a receptacle and a switch, shouldn't one of the choices be none of the above? The box looks too full to accomodate either. Maybe it's an optical illusion. But isn't it possible that this is just a junction box?

What's the story here... What was over this, was it just a blank cover?

If you're considering covering this, you would have to use a blank cover. Whatever this is, you can't just drywall or spackle or whatever to cover it it is an electrical box that has to remain accessible.

If it was a switch it might have been a 3-way switch with the 3 conductor cable being in there.

#8 ·
Pray tell what makes you guys think this is a switch??? I don't unless there was work done before the pic was taken.
It appeared to me that there were two Red wires that may be a hot and a switch leg. I don't see a neutral pig that would have made it a receptacle.

But I agree, nothing would have been in that box but the wires.

#9 ·
The story.. it's an apartment that we bought from the bank so there are some weird things from a previous remodel that I can't explain.

This was originally covered with a blank cover, and the circuit breaker is on the same wall on the opposite side. However, the position is very close to the front door and basically a very logical place to have a light switch. I was hoping to either install a switch if it's already wired, or install a remote/wireless switch in the same spot.

It's not likely to be a 3-way switch because there aren't other switches in the vicinity.

#11 ·
In words, there appear to be three main conduits, one in each corner in the back:

Topleft corner: white, black, and copper ground
Topright corner: white, black, and copper ground
Bottomleft corner: white, red, and copper ground

All 3 white wires are capped together (yellow cap)
The 2 black wires are capped together (red cap)
The 1 red wire is capped by itself (orange cap)

Does that help?

#12 ·
If you could spread the wires out and take another picture, it might help. You mention conduit, but what I see is a plastic box with romex cables. Not likely conduit. The cable that has the red wire should have a black wire also…where is it?

I see a black wire with an orange wirenut, you didn’t mention that. Is that a pigtail off the 2 blacks with the red wirenut? Or is it the black in the same cable as the red?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.