DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I could have sworn the outdoor outlet(chained to the inside one) was working before but it doesn't seem to now. I plugged a shop light in outside to see if I could get the switch working from the inside and oddly enough, the only way I could get the light to work was plug in my cell phone into a charger plugged into the outlet inside the house. I'm sure something is wired wrong? Here is the back of each plug and a video of the plug behavior...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have a hot on both sides of the 2nd plug. A neutral on that plug?
Is this incorrect how it is? I included the pic of the wall receptacle to show what wires were coming out of what bundles. One goes through the wall to the outside, and one comes from the too of the outlet box

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
All hots go on the brass screws and the 2 whites on the silver screws on the inside plug. If the red wire is on a switch, you have to break off the jumper on the brass screws. The blacks both together and pigtailed to 1 brass screw.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All hots go on the brass screws and the 2 whites on the silver screws on the inside plug. If the red wire is on a switch, you have to break off the jumper on the brass screws. The blacks both together and pigtailed to 1 brass screw.
Got it, the outside outlet is working now. Thank you. Can you explain what was done wrong so I can understand and learn going forward?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also side note, is there any sort of device that exists to help find a switch to an outlet(if it exists)? Or is that just one of those "try and see" type things?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
You have to have a hot and neutral on each outlet, 1 on each side. UsUally the additional red you have is a switch Controled wire. You must separate the 2 brass screws by removing the bridge between them.
The only way to find a switch is by plugging in something and try switches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts