DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took a faceplate off of an outlet in preparation for changing the outlet to a newer Decora style outlet...and I'm still seeing some voltage with my little voltage tester, even after shutting off the breaker, but it's not as consistent, my voltage tester light goes on and off randomly. I also notice the bare wire isn't attached to the box. Maybe the box isn't even grounded? Would this have anything to do with the voltage weirdness?

Attachments

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
Non-contact testers are famous for picking up phantom voltage. If there is something (like a lamp) plugged into the outlet does it go out when you turn the breaker to the off position?

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
Looks like you've got a ground wire there. Other than your tester... Any reason to think it isn't grounded?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm just used to seeing a wire connected from the junction box to the bare wire... that's what I meant. But I guess it's still grounded...assuming that bare wire actually connects to something. Right?

So what is the point of connecting ground to the box as I've seen before?

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
djgrant said:
I'm just used to seeing a wire connected from the junction box to the bare wire... that's what I meant. But I guess it's still grounded...assuming that bare wire actually connects to something. Right?

So what is the point of connecting ground to the box as I've seen before?
Metal boxes need to be grounded. You pigtail the ground from the 'romex' to both the box and outlet.

Is it a plastic box? Hard to tell from the pic. They don't need a separate ground.

·
Super Moderator
15,299 Posts
Leah, I suspect the OP is in Canada. Their boxes, even when plastic, have a spot for the grounding conductor.

This would have nothing to do with the indications the OP is getting. I too suspect a non-contact is being used.

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
Jim Port said:
Leah, I suspect the OP is in Canada. Their boxes, even when plastic, have a spot for the grounding conductor.
GTK, Jim. I had no idea. Thanks for taking the time to point it out. Never seen one of them before ;)

·
Master Electrician
4,657 Posts
You would connect the grounding conductor to the screw on the metallic strip. The device would then be grounded by the device screw when mounted to the strip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts