DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been in my home for a year and knew that the dryer outlet was a 3 prong receptable and assumed it was fine as the house was built prior to the requirement for 4 prongs.

Today I took delivery of a new dryer and when I was assisting in removing the old dryer I noticed that the receptacle is actually a 50A range receptacle and not a 3 prong dryer.

I went over to the fuse box and the installed fuse is 40A.

Did my home inspector mess up or am I missing something?

What is the proper way to correct this? My electrical experience is limited to installing GFCI's and light fixtures.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I got to do some research on "fuse reducers" as I thought it was a simple drop in replacement.

This is a pic of the receptacle...3 wires only.

I may need to call an electrician...

·
Idiot Emeritus
1,910 Posts
By 'fuse', do you mean an actual fuse that's about 3/4" in diameter and about 3" long and has brass ends, or is it a circuit breaker; a sort of switch that, in this case, is 2 switches tied together, and has 40 marked on it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll tackle this project tomorrow morning.

Replace 40A breaker with a 30A breaker.
Replace 3 prong range receptacle with a 3 prong dryer.

Sounds simple enough. Thanks for the help.

·
E2 Electrician
5,655 Posts
Home inspectors are a scam, what they miss will blow you mind.

In any case you should have a NEMA 10-30r (30amp) receptacle with 30amp fuses.
For some strange reason, I have been going on a lot of service calls caused via Home inspection sheets, the best part is the stuff they miss, vs the items they find non code compliment... it really makes me wonder.

·
Idiot Emeritus
1,910 Posts
The vast majority of home inspectors have no clue what they're looking at....especially electrical.

In my opinion, as a group, they've caused far more problems than they've solved.

·
Banned
2,487 Posts
Yeah half the things they find are non-issues. The stuff they miss is the real laugh. You can make some good customers by telling them the flagged problems aren't problems at all and there's no need to fix them. Save a few bucks for them and they'll love you for life.

Double tapped breakers and two or three grounds under one screw are the most common laughs I see.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Yeah half the things they find are non-issues. The stuff they miss is the real laugh. You can make some good customers by telling them the flagged problems aren't problems at all and there's no need to fix them. Save a few bucks for them and they'll love you for life.

Double tapped breakers and two or three grounds under one screw are the most common laughs I see.
But when a MWBC is screwed up and the noodle looks like Sunday bacon its not an issue :laughing: :no:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts