DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the 6/3 NM to run from the breakers to under the house and then up the outside of the house to where i want to mount an enclosure like the one in the pic. The box is a 12x10x6 NEMA type 3R, big enough to fit the charger with the NEMA 14-50 adapter and the controller device.

The enclosure has bottom knockouts. I wonder how the guy in the pic got the wires into the enclosure and also how he attached the electrical box to the enclosure. Well, more importantly, how should I do it?

Attachments

·
Naildriver
10,627 Posts
Definitely from the bottom would be better. Using weathertite you can some from any point. He most likely used stove bolts (stainless) to attach the box to the box, and used the back knock out of the receptacle box.

For others reading, this is an extension of http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/wire-charge-tesla-554121/

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So bring the cable up through the bottom of the enclosure and then through a KO in bottom of the box? And to anchor the box, drill some holes in the side of the enclosure?

·
Naildriver
10,627 Posts
Making any holes in the bottom is always preferred, but you will need to seal any fastener hole in the side to prevent leakage. I guess using the larger box is for security reasons, right? Using a weather proof box with rain cover would also work, but won't provide security.

·
Very Stable Genius
4,164 Posts
You're not going to find it easy to come into the bottom. NMD isn't rated
for outdoors. If you were running individual conductors in conduit then
you could stub out through the wall then LB straight up. Good luck getting
6/3 NMD cable through an LB. And as pointed out in the other thread, NMD
isn't allowed in conduit up here but apparently your rules are different.
I suppose if I had to deal with this I might transition from cable to T90/conduit
just inside the wall in a large junction box.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Using a weather proof box with rain cover would also work, but won't provide security.
Security, yes but also I did not like the box with a flip-top. The NEMA 14-50 adapter is several inches long. Combined with terminal of the charger it sticks out so far the box top won't close. Plus the controller is heavy and might tend to pull the power plug loose. Yes, I could take the charger out of the car for every recharge but really I wanted a permanent installation.

The whole package will look neater stuffed in a box like the pic with only the cord coming out. I can get a hanger and loop the cord around that.

I just don't like the idea of a naked 6/3 cable running up the side of the house.

·
Naildriver
10,627 Posts
I just don't like the idea of a naked 6/3 cable running up the side of the house.
Oh, no worries, you can't run it alone beside anything on the outside. If you can, run conduit for the entire run and use THWN wires for the run. Simpler and not as bulky as cable, which is a PITA to run in conduit and can't be run outside anyway.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Too late, I already unrolled and cut the 6/3 NM. I hope the homeowner here in Houston has more leeway than a contractor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts