DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have a VERY small covered porch, 24"x48" and right now we just have a regular porch light on the wall. Me and the wife got to thinking we should remove the porch light and install a single recessed bulb in the middle.

The wiring is simple, I know how that works, but my question is because this is a covered porch can I just use the typical recessed fixture like you would find at HD or Lowes? Its not open to the elements so I would expect it to be ok, and it will not get any more moisture in it than the recessed lighting in my bathroom, or so I would think?

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
Typically if it’s a covered porch and not completely enclosed, the underside where you would mount the recessed would be considered a damp location. Many recessed cans are listed for damp locations, but check first just to be sure.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks! What is is called if its rated for in contact with insulation? We have blow in attic insulation and I dont want to box around it. I think its called IC rated?

·
Jack of all - master none
1,304 Posts
Yes IC rated = Insulation Contact. FWIW, I have 3 recessed lights on my front porch with no problems - other than they seem to burn out bulbs faster than my other fixtures. I didn't put them there though, so I can't tell you what kind/type they are.

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
IC is rated for direct contact with insulation, Non-IC is not rated for direct contact with insulation (minimum space around fixture would have to be maintained).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts