DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello; I have been looking for garden lights. The kind you stick into the ground. I do not know if they have it wireless. The lights I have now are in a network of tubing underneath the ground and once in a while they come out here and there. But the wiring is very old and dangerous. I wonder if they have only the light fixtures without tubing and wire. I do not know if they are battery operated or something else. Anyway, if it is possible I want to eliminate the wiring. Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
37,180 Posts
Buy solor powered ones. There sold on line, Lowes, Home Depot, Manard, Wal-Mart.

·
Learning Things Every Day
555 Posts
Buy solor powered ones. There sold on line, Lowes, Home Depot, Manard, Wal-Mart.
+1

They're extremely popular now. You can find them anywhere you look, not just hardware stores.

Solar lights are actually battery powered. The purpose of the solar panels is to recharge the batteries. That's why even on days where it's overcast the entire day, they'll still work that night, although if they don't get any sun during a given day, they may not have the juice to get through the entire night. It's a small trade-off for being able to just stick the stake in the ground and be done with it.

You can buy the cheap ones individually or in a set, but the cheapest ones don't put out many lumens. You'll have to pay a bit more for brighter ones, but it's still the cheapest, easiest solution to your problem.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I hate the solar powered they are horrible!! :eek:

If the lights are working I wouldn't be concerned with the wiring If its low voltage. If it's not low voltage or the lights aren't working I would fix/replace what ever I'd needed.

·
Learning Things Every Day
555 Posts
I hate the solar powered they are horrible!! :eek:
Care to share any reasons for having this opinion?

Yes, some of them aren't very good, but some of the more expensive ones can actually pass for being wired lights in terms of brightness and longevity. Those are quite good.

You'll never hear me say that solar lights are better (or even equal) to wired lights, but in this case the problem the OP is having would be completely eliminated.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The problem that the OP has is that he is concerned that his current situation is dangerous.

The best solution would be to simply replace the existing setup with a low-voltage equivalent. He'll get safety, longevity, the ability to turn the lights on and off, and better quality spot lighting if that is part of his layout.

That said, cheap low-voltage packages (i.e. the "Malibu" product at Home Depot) are complete crap. In low-voltage you definitely get what you pay for, just like with solar lights.

And to the OP, no, there are no wireless outdoor lights, and no battery powered lights (other than solar) that you should consider.

·
Jack of all - master none
1,304 Posts
Made like crap
Break within a short period
Don't give off enough light
Depends on the product. If you buy the cheapo $1.99 lights from Walgreens, it will be all of the things above. My parents have had solar lights around their pool deck for the better part of a decade and are still going strong.

As for giving off enough light, for garden and pathway lights I think the solar does a good job. Just a little ambiance light. If you need to flood an area with light, then solar is probably not the best option.

·
Banned
5,990 Posts
For a residential pathway 5 lux or foot-candles worth of illumination is probably OK.
If you go with omnidirectional low voltage incands you can tweak the brightness vs. lifetime using resistors but the more directional non-tweakable LEDs take less power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts