DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am getting ready to build out an outdoor kitchen. All of the utilities were run when we had the house built, so I don't need to add any significant electrical or plumbing. I will be adding a built in NG Grill, drop in sink, some stainless cabinet doors, and a fridge. You can probably guess where everything goes in the CAD picture below.

I will be wrapping the cabinets in a brick facade that matches the firepit. I am building it out pressure treated lumber, not metal framing. The wood frame will sit on composite decking boards, which will be on strips of rooking felt, which will ultimately be on the concrete patio. Likely shimming where needed between the composite decking and the PT Lumber. I Did get the insulated jacket for the BBQ to keep things safe and in line with the manufacturer directions. I really don't want this post to turn into a wood vs metal framing debate, please.

Where I would like some input is around how to handle where the kitchen and exterior wall come together.
Should I cut the siding (fiber cement) away and attach everything like its an interior cabinet? Then add some cedar trim where the brick and siding come together and caulk all of the joints.

Thanks in advance for your help and ideas!

-JD

Attachments

·
In a little over my head
1,339 Posts
Since the utilities are already coming through the siding, I don't see any reason to open up an exterior wall. That would be a whole new can of worms. It looks like the cabinet will be self supporting. I'd seal up the back of the cabinet with plywood or some other sheet product. Either put it right up against the wall and trim it, or leave an inch or so space behind the cabinet so you can blow it out with a leaf blower.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts