DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Building my last home
356 Posts
I have done 2 one for me and one for a client. The client one was all electric and was an exact duplicate of what he had inside, just lower. His wife either had made or made heavy tarp covers.
His was not weather proof. Mine was under a patio and I put the gas stove on the outside. Wind was a problem sometimes. I used the pressure washer on mine as I had a sub panel near for all of the circuits and I would shut everything off and hose away. Couple of days later return the power. Never worried about sink drains on either ran enough pipe underground that I could get the water away from the patio. I always wanted a dishwasher, never did that.
Both of these were done in Arizona so the little rain we get was not a problem. However depending on where you live weather could add another complexity, especially freezing.

·
Super moderator
1,150 Posts
your country flag indicates you are in Australia.
can you provide some photos of the area that you want to use ??
and, for what purpose would the kitchen be used for mainly ?
Google is always a good source of inspiration in many projects.

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,184 Posts
If at all possible use quick connects and an easy drain connection. Build with metal studs and have it on wheels so you can disconnect easily, wheel it to the edge of your patio and power wash it once or twice a year...

Stainless steel (cared for with WD-40 used to help clean and protect using a blue scrubby with the grain of the stainless) will be your friend. If the main body is stucco over 3/8" cement board you'd still be able to wheel it about... And, if you found that the prevailing wind/weather moves through the years you can move the kitchen after installing a secondary set of supply lines/power/drain.

Make sure there is adequate surface area to hold your beverage of choice.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
I am thinking of building an outdoor kitchen, does anyone have some tips?
Build it gazebo style, open on the sides but roofed for a bit of weather protection. Decide what you want to include... sink, gas bbq, gas cooktop/flattop, pellet smoker, fridge. Shape the kitchen "U" style. It's most efficient. Keep all gas devices on one side for ease of gas piping

How detailed you want it really depends on how much time you want to spend outside. Will a bar fridge under the counter do you and keep the bigger stuff inside, or do you want it all outside. Will just cold running water work for you or will you need hot water too (small hot water heater under the sink).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts