DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I'm in need of a little direction on repairing my outdoor faucet. As you will see a crack has appeared. Can someone offer suggestions on how to fix this. The downspout leads to my outdoor sprinkler system.

·
Household Handyman
2,480 Posts
You will have to replace this check valve with a new one. Actually you may have to put in a "Backflow Preventer Device/BPD" to meet current codes in your area. A horizontal swing check valve IS NOT a BPD. You will need to heat, take apart, and re-sweat two joints as this is in now.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
being an hvac tech:wink: i would wire wheel that crack flux it up and paint it with some stay brite solder first remove that cap/nut and gasket if it has one... wire brush the crack on the inside also flux it...or totally repalce it.if you do it yourself wire brush all the exsisting soldered parts makes it easier to re install wipe the joints with flux before breaking it down:thumbsup:

·
Plumb or Die!
321 Posts
being an hvac tech:wink: i would wire wheel that crack flux it up and paint it with some stay brite solder first remove that cap/nut and gasket if it has one... wire brush the crack on the inside also flux it...or totally repalce it.if you do it yourself wire brush all the exsisting soldered parts makes it easier to re install wipe the joints with flux before breaking it down:thumbsup:
Being a plumber, I wouldn't do that. The check valve's body has distorted from freezing or whatever, and will no longer function as it should. I would cut out the whole schmozzle. Replace that swing check with at least a dual check valve assembly. Get it inside the house if you can. Irrigation should have a connection where you can hook up compressed air for winterizing or maintenance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts