DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced a block heater end with a generic Leviton 125V 15AMP rated end. I don't believe it's intended for outdoor use and there is a possibility of water getting inside it through the cable clamp area. I see tonnes of people using these yellow replacement ends on their vehicles. How unsafe are they?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
A molded plug is less likey to have water leakage issues, but then again, there are 3 holes in the end of the cable. I would say they are OK.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used the Leviton Python:

The nylon inserts I found are useless. They have no give and I don't know what size of cable you could actually use with this without pinching the cable. I used a 18/3 stranded cable and I had to remove one of the inserts to get it to bite down leaving the area exposed to water. Anyone else have experience with these? The ones with the black rubber grommet are much nicer.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Just make sure you plug into GFCI protected receptacles outside or in damp or wet locations. We used to repair extension cords all the time. I still do. But the consensus is you lose the UL listing on the cord is you tamper with it (fix it) in any way. The new wave say they toss (discard) cords that need repair and replace them. I don't always buy that. I am certain most people do in fact repair them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts