DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've built a 20x20 outdoor pavilion that will eventually be an outdoor kitchen and bar.

I intend to install four 48" ceiling fans and four separate control switches.

The switches will be installed in the bar backsplash via a 4-gang box and will be 20amp GFCI protected circuits. I am wanting to use a fan controller toggle (Lutron Skylark SFSQ-F-WH) for each fan.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Mulberry 30478 weatherproof toggle switch cover? Do the switch levers move smoothly so they can be used with a controller switch to control the fan speed, or are they detented/spring loaded?

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Not sure if there are any toggle fan dimmers other than with a little side slide control and the toggle being on/off. The cover lever would not give you access. I do not like fan speed controls because they typically make the fan hum. I would use the pull chain for speed selection. Of course nowdays most fans use a remote control with no pull chains.

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
Do the switch levers move smoothly so they can be used with a dimmer switch to control the fan speed,
A dimmer switch would be used if you were attempting to dim lights on the fan. You should use a speed control to adjust the fan speed.

While the two devices may look identical, there is a function difference between the two.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure if there are any toggle fan dimmers other than with a little side slide control and the toggle being on/off. The cover lever would not give you access. I do not like fan speed controls because they typically make the fan hum. I would use the pull chain for speed selection. Of course nowdays most fans use a remote control with no pull chains.
Lutron Skylark SFSQ-F-WH is a toggle fan controller. According to reviews it does not cause the fan motor to hum.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A dimmer switch would be used if you were attempting to dim lights on the fan. You should use a speed control to adjust the fan speed.

While the two devices may look identical, there is a function difference between the two.
Yeah, I screwed up and put in dimmer switch. I meant fan controller. Lutron Skylark SFSQ-F-WH is the controller I was looking to go with. Unfortunately I can't seem to edit the original post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts