DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys- Thanks for reading, I have a few issues/questions to a recent project im about to take over..

I recently build a patio under my deck, we have furniture and hang out down there alot.. So I want to add a ceiling fan to the underside of the deck ( which is about 9' tall)...

My plan WAS... Run new wire from the switch ( which is inside the house) that already controls the outdoor light under the deck, to the new ceiling fan.. I would have run the wire through conduit, between the deck joist to the box above the fan.. Since this location could get wet- I was going to create a wood box to prevent any water from entering...

Well I just opened the ceiling fan, was is wet rated and noticed they recommend the fan be in a GFCI protected branch circuit...
Now I am second guessing my install, I dont want to hire a electrain, but need some help..!!!Thoughtss..???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply, But I dont understand... Could I run a new wire from the switch ( which already controls a outdoor light) to a GFCI outlet and then just run a wire from the GFCI to the fan..??

I didnt think GFCI worked like that..??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great- Thanks again.. Ill just run a wire from the switch to a GFCI outlet above the switch in a drop ceiling area of the basement.. Then run a wire from the GFI through the back of the house, inside of conduit ( 6 feet ) to the outdoor fan, right?... Works for me

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts