DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve done several fans but this particular install has me stumped. The fans work fan (cycle on/off) never tripped. However, on the same set of switches I have outdoor lights that share that breaker (but do not share the switch). If I flip their switch they immediately trip the breaker. When I installed the fans they all share the same bare copper ground wire (I think? Or assume) these lights have never tripped before the fans were put in. Any ideas 💡?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took black to black / white to white . Green to bare copper ground. When I installed the down rod on the fan it didn’t have the screw size to attach additional grounding to that rod. Would that matter? The bracket is grounded but there was an option to ground the downrod ball mount (if that makes sense). I thought one ground is sufficient. I know I wired the fans correctly because they run without issue but the fact that they share this bare ground wire makes me think it has to be related to that?

· Registered
628 Posts
There is a dead short in one of the fixtures, or in the switch box. A skinned wire. If you did not twist the wires to make a solid connection, one may have come out from under the wire nut. Use your ohm meter to find the short.

Always twist the wires to make a solid connection and then install the correct sixe wire nut. This is also the thread that wire nut uses to twist on. After installing the correct size wire nut, I tape all of my wire nuts so nothing can get under the nut and into the bare wires.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like I have to take down the whole fan assembly and check all my wiring. I used wire nuts and then taped them. This is a 3 way switch, switch to run the fans blows no breaker. , switch to run lights immediately trips. I didn’t touch anything on that light switch or any of it’s wiring. I believe they share the same bare ground wire.

· A "Handy Husband"
15,061 Posts
start at the end,
diss-connect the fans one by one till the breaker holds.
Repeatedly tripping a breaker is not a good way to trouble shoot a short. Leave the power off and use an ohmmeter.

Sent from my RCT6A03W13E using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.