DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I remove the outdoor carpet from concrete porch when carpet backing is seperating from carpet and glue is on concrete?

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,926 Posts
Scrape it by hand. You can buy a 4" scraper almost anywhere.

·
NACE Coating Inspector
524 Posts
i ran into this all of the time with my decorative concrete conpany. what do you plan on doing to the concrete when you do get the glue up??? you can use a pump sprayer with xylene to soften the glue to make it easy to scrape up. just do small areas that you will be able to reach. this will get rid of the glue on the surface only it will not bring it back to new looking concrete. your other option is to rent a floor polisher with the arressive pads (black, i think?) and then step to a smoother pad. this will make the concrete smooth and it will have a slight sheen to it. this will all depend on what your future plans are with the slab. there are other options(diamond polisher) but it would help to know what you are going to do. wear a respirator and protective clothing with the xylene, not only will it remove the glue it will also remove skin and brain cells.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,926 Posts
The xylene may also keep the next flooring from sticking. That's why most pros say not to use chemical removers.

·
NACE Coating Inspector
524 Posts
rusty, you are right about the xylene but that is normaly when a xylene based sealer is used. straight xylene solvent isnt an issue in this case as the the solvent will sit on the surface and evaporate. we do this method on stubborn river rock removal except we will pour xylene over the surface and cover it with thin plastic to slow down the evaporation so the solvent can soften the epoxy in the riverrock. xylene sealers in a lab have been known to penetrate up to 7"-9"into concrete and that will cause a bonding issue not allowing future coatings to penetrate/bite

1 - 5 of 5 Posts