DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm placing outdoor carpet on a 14x20' concrete pad. Planning to only glue 4" around perimeter and at the seam. Is this typical install procedure, or does entire area typically get glued?

Also, is carpet typically placed on the visible side edge of the pad? What has to be done to hold it while it's curing. Thanks.

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
If you only glue the perimeter, it's going to pucker, stretch and look bad. You could try perimeter tape and "fix" it as needed, or just do it right. Your location and the slab's exposure would be things we'd like to know too. OK,"nova" I think I know where you are.

Jaz

Sure would be nice if people would state their location when signing up to this forum.

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
OK, Virginia Beach. We'll let you call that NOVA although it's 20 miles from the southern border.

Yes, I think full-spread is the way to go. Is the slab covered? Does it slope, drain well?

Jaz

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, Virginia Beach. We'll let you call that NOVA although it's 20 miles from the southern border.

Yes, I think full-spread is the way to go. Is the slab covered? Does it slope, drain well?

Jaz
What does my location in Virginia have to do with anything related to the installation of outdoor carpet. Come on, man!

·
Pro Flooring Installer
9,303 Posts
What does my location in Virginia have to do with anything related to the installation of outdoor carpet. Come on, man!
It matters on the adhesive to use and how long the carpet will last.

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
LarryJ-from Nova,

You're kidding right? Do you think you'd get the same answer if you were anywhere on earth, it wouldn't matter? Also as the conversation continues, don't you see where the location, therefore the temp and humidity etc. would influence our answers?

It's obvious that the location makes a difference. BTW it's probably even more important when it's an indoor project. Can you imagine why?

Jaz

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
I've never been paid to install indoor, outdoor carpeting on a patio but have been paid to try and remove it and the old glue dozens of times.
Just a very bad idea.
Want a soaking wet, hard to clean surface, going to fail floor that's the way to go.

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Absolutely right Joe. I thought that fad went out with the '70's, '80's for sure, especially if exposed to the weather. Just after kitchen carpeting. Not a great idea, but definitely a cheap way to improve the looks of old cracked concrete temporarily.

Jaz

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
There you go. We got you to think about it more and do it the right way. Glueing just the perimeter woulda been a mess in no time.

Jaz

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There you go. We got you to think about it more and do it the right way. Glueing just the perimeter woulda been a mess in no time.

Jaz
It certainly wasn't from this forum. I found my answer on a Google search. Still have had no response regarding how to glue the vertical edges.
And have not heard one specific suggestion regarding how it should be done (differently) in my area of the US.
Stating that it should be done "the right way" doesn't help anyone who's never done it before.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
9,303 Posts
Use outdoor adhesive, not latex. Trowel the same adhesive on the vertical edges, let it tack up and it will hold the carpet. If you don't want to wait, after you spread the glue, put some hot melt glue from a glue gun on it and press in place immediately. The hot melt will hold it while the other sets up.
Use the right trowel, it will tell you on the bucket.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Use outdoor adhesive, not latex. Trowel the same adhesive on the vertical edges, let it tack up and it will hold the carpet. If you don't want to wait, after you spread the glue, put some hot melt glue from a glue gun on it and press in place immediately. The hot melt will hold it while the other sets up.
Use the right trowel, it will tell you on the bucket.
Thank you.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
9,303 Posts
HD sold me Roberts 6700 Indoor/Outdoor adhesive which I see is latex. What is the non-latex adhesive made of. I see DAP makes one that is solvent based. No indication of latex listed on its' specs.
What will happen to the latex-based adhesive if I use it outdoors.
If it gets wet before it sets up, it will come loose. I have used multi-purpose latex carpet adhesive in the middle of summer when it isn't going to rain for a few days and it has held up for years. It is much cheaper than the others. The solvent based is highly flammable too. No smoking near it, no open flames of any kind. Some of it smells really bad too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.