DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install vinyl planking in laundry room this is out of square. I laser the long wall, on end is 2 inches at far end the line in 2.75. How to I start to make sure the planks line up in a straight line.

Thank you to you all

·
Hammered Thumb
3,988 Posts
You want to measure to the opposite wall as well, then you adjust the rows to your liking, like making it say 3/8" out of parallel on each wall rather than 3/4" on one wall. Also, which way it runs affects your fudging too, usually you want lines perpendicular to windows, so if you enter a door any misalignment with the adjacent parallel wall might stand out. It's a judgment call on where to fudge or which wall to use as an anchor.

Don't forget to calculate the first and last parallel-to-wall rows so you are not left with a 1/2" wide plank, the manuf should have a minimum width of plank (at least for floating).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I did the length and width and chalked the center. I then measured from center to start wall and subtracted the .25 expansion gap spacer in three places and chalked that line as a start line. I will lay down planks across width to see how many I need and adjust so not to have that 1/2" plank as you noted.

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
For a small room, I'd square the lines from the door. If noticed at all, that would be where the first impression will be. My bathroom wall on the door side is mostly covered by a baseboard heat, so no point. Also what happens to the line when covered by a base trim. I'd want to see a nice parallel there. Best looking lines on first impression.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.