DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got half of a laminate floor down in my basement. And I just noticed it’s about 1/4 inch of square for about a 44 foot length. Maybe a little more than 1/4 inch. I tend to be obsessed with making sure everything is square but at the end of the day is it even worth ripping up half (see attached) and redoing it? I guess because all the cuts are done it wouldn’t take but a few hours and possibly ending up damaging a board or two.

Looking for opinions. My wife says no big deal and I think I agree. But will I regret it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will you even notice it once the furniture and stuff is setting on the floor?

That’s my wife’s point. You can’t even notice it now but I just know that it is and that bugs me to no end. I think I’m being way too OCD here.

·
Registered
10,908 Posts
Where are you seeing the 1/4"? The floor is probably supposed to be floating with a gap around the perimeter. Not my specialty so corrections welcome.

Bud

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where are you seeing the 1/4"? The floor is probably supposed to be floating with a gap around the perimeter. Not my specialty so corrections welcome.

Bud

I measured the distance between the center row of boards at the end of one wall and the end of the same wall. Got a 1/4 difference. Also measured 3-4-5 and it’s not exactly square to the wall. I know the wall is framed exactly square to the floor joists since I framed it.

·
retired painter
9,871 Posts
Most rooms aren't perfectly square. It's common practice to either split the difference or orientate the flooring off of the predominate wall. Moot point now, personally I wouldn't worry about it now ..... and once you get on to the next project you'll mostly forget what's wrong with this one.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most rooms aren't perfectly square. It's common practice to either split the difference or orientate the flooring off of the predominate wall. Moot point now, personally I wouldn't worry about it now ..... and once you get on to the next project you'll mostly forget what's wrong with this one.

Very good point. I think I just needed comfort in knowing others wouldn’t worry about. And always plenty of projects to move forward. I’ll keep laying the flooring.

·
Knows Enough to be Danger
678 Posts
1/4" out of square, as in a 1/4" on one end of the 44' long room, and 0" on the other?

As in, a 1/4" gap that'll be covered by moulding/quarter round?

I know what I'd do about it :wink2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts