DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's town home has a light fixture hanging in the stairwell that is impossible to reach to change the bulbs. Impossible for me anyway, imagining every possible way to set my extension ladder.
Is this just a practical joke by a cruel contractor or is it just that my imagination is coming up short?
Fixture Building Wood Line Material property

·
Registered
13,637 Posts
a sawhorse on the landing, with sturdy planks across to the stairs. ladder on that.

be carefull

·
Usually Confused
8,577 Posts
I built a platform out of 3/4" ply and 2x lumber to access mine, but you clear span looks pretty substantial.

It they are Edison (screw) base bulbs you might try one of these. I've never used one.

·
retired framer
55,653 Posts
I built a platform out of 3/4" ply and 2x lumber to access mine, but you clear span looks pretty substantial.

It they are Edison (screw) base bulbs you might try one of these. I've never used one.

Those are the goofy little flood lights that hard to change.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
The mid landing should hold a step ladder, a tall one, maybe 10'. You can't go to last 2 steps and depends on your arm length and how tall. Searched for a pull down ceiling light but not designed for that much. Search more. Since it's over the stairs, and headroom can be lower than 8', maybe you should change it to something that can light all around and hangs lower. There are really bright led bulbs that does something like it. Claims should be near 2000 lumens. Maybe 3000-5000K, from near yellow to white.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Sounds like the perfect place for some high-quality LED bulbs. To borrow a phrase from Ron Popeil, "Change 'em and forget 'em!"
Surely you know some with an adjustable ladder similar to the Little Giant.

·
Registered
12,716 Posts
Hard to see all the angles, but could you put an extension ladder on the landing, with the bottom against the wall to the left and the top leaning against the railing on the right at the top floor?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Get an extension ladder with arms that hold it off the wall. Plant the base of the ladder at the last step and lean against the opposite wall. Then reach back and install the bulbs

A ladder like this

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I like the leaning an extension ladder against the riser/wall.

One of those Little Giant or Gorilla ladders that adjust should work as well. Just bought one this year so I could trim a landscape area on a hillside.

Ladder Window Tripod Paint Wood

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Sawhorse platform and a stepladder is within my price range. It might have to be a TALL sawhorse.. The fixture hangs over the stairwell though, so I could only reach the bulbs on one side, the side with the upper staircase.
Kind of looks like PO did that already.

Interior design Grey Wood Wall Material property

·
retired framer
55,653 Posts
Is the a wall above you head or behind you when you took that picture?
The mid landing should hold a step ladder, a tall one, maybe 10'. You can't go to last 2 steps and depends on your arm length and how tall. Searched for a pull down ceiling light but not designed for that much. Search more. Since it's over the stairs, and headroom can be lower than 8', maybe you should change it to something that can light all around and hangs lower. There are really bright led bulbs that does something like it. Claims should be near 2000 lumens. Maybe 3000-5000K, from near yellow to white.
I agree with the scaffolding but I think he would be wise to get to the ceiling and change out the fixture to something that hangs lower.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
They make extension ladders with legs that individually adjust to steps. That might work to put the ladder on the steps and up against the rail directly in line with the fixture. One other thing I did at my similar TH was to make some plywood platforms that spanned the stairwell space to make a good base for an extension or step ladder. I can't tell from your photos if that would be possible here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
C'est moi has the right idea. Adjustable extension ladder on the last step before the landing and lean it forward against the wall. I've done it several times to paint the ceiling in stairway going to 2nd floor. You can even place the ladder on a lower step and run a plank from the ladder back to the landing.

·
retired framer
55,653 Posts
C'est moi has the right idea. Adjustable extension ladder on the last step before the landing and lean it forward against the wall. I've done it several times to paint the ceiling in stairway going to 2nd floor. You can even place the ladder on a lower step and run a plank from the ladder back to the landing.
Is this what you mean?
Fixture Stairs Interior design Building Floor

1 - 20 of 58 Posts