DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday pulling weeds in one area I got stung in the back of my leg and it hurt but I didn’t think anything about it.

Just now I was pulling weeds under this palm frond, a new palm tree and I reached my hand in and a wasp stung me on my pointer finger and it hurts like heck.

then I saw a bunch of wasp were building one of those paper wasp nest. I used to have some wasp spray. All I have is ant spray and I used that

Ouch ouch

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
There is a story on the internet, actually several now, based upon a Dr who went to Africa to test a treatment for snake bites. on his cross country trip to a remote village he was stung by some very venous bee, one where the sting would incapacitate and take months to recover. Thinking that bee venom was similar to snake venom he took out his snake bite treatment device and applied it. To his pleasure it worked and the bee sting soon went away with no long term effects.

His device was a tuned down Taser. The moderate high voltage passing current through the wound apparently neutralizes the venom. I haven't checked recently but a few years ago there were similar devices on the market.

Now I can't advise you to zap yourself but I did. being an electronics nut I improvised a flyback zapper and treated my occasional black fly bites, which can be long term and very painful. It worked for me and if I received a painful bee sting I would improvise again.

I can search again if needed.

Bud

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Had tapped on the tongue because it's that time of year for them, nothing flew out so I reached up to take the nut off the bottom side of the coupler on the boat trailer this morning and slowly pulled my hand out when I felt something crawling on it. Had two of those buggers on me, but no stings, so just a darn good reminder to check first.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
I can take 1 bit, but I can't take 2. Some Benadryl applied immediately can save your life.
The worse for me is poison ivy - it takes me months to recover.
There was a story once about a utility worker who was stung by thousands of bees all at once. He was DOA at the hospital.

·
Registered
21,605 Posts
OUCH

Hope you feel better, @Startingover. Sounds like you do.

Those paper wasps can be a literal pain, but they also keep other insect populations in bounds, including caterpillars, flies, etc.

So unless it's in a really bad spot, I'd try to leave it alone. Also, it's only likely to be there for a single year; most wasp colonies are "annual." If someone knows different, correct me.

·
Registered
21,605 Posts
I should buy Benadryl.

We had a lot of poison ivy in Ohio. Before moving here I got it bad on backs of my knees. It crusted over and was a mess.
I wonder if there's any jewelweed in Florida? That's the stuff to use on poison ivy, almost like magic.

EDIT

According the Wikepedia article on impatiens, which includes the plants in your garden and which jewelweed also is, you might want scrunch up some impatiens stems and slather the muck on the affected areas. It even works on hemorrhoids! (So they say, no personal experience THANK GOD!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impatiens#Medicinal_uses_and_phytochemistry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.