DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a clubhouse for my kids and framed out the walls. I'm ready to "skin" the frame. I used a mixture of 2x2 and 2x3s to frame it. I wanted it light so I could transport it to our Farm and reconstruct it by Panel when I get there.

My question is will 1/4 Plywood be tough enough to last with two good coats of exterior paint or is that wishful thinking. Also, would there be any difference between plywood and OSB.

Also, I was at Home Depot today and noticed they had Plytanium. Anyone ever use that before.

Look forward to your opinions.

thanks,

·
Framing Contractor
1,492 Posts
Hardi also makes products available in sheet form that hold up well. Little more difficult to work with, but in my opinion, a superior product to the LP. Cost is comparable. If you do decide to go with the plywood, go with 1/2". The cost will be virtually the same, and the added strength will make it last longer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
As it is a child's clubhouse I assume that it doesn't have to win any architectural digest awards; therefore good exterior paint over plywood will give you service for a good number of years depending on the climate. I doubt that the grandchildren will play in that clubhouse though. Consider using an exterior grade plywood at least 3/8", 1/2" is better, or a "rated sheathing". I have never seen 1/4" plywood that is rated for exterior use, in your area you may have exterior 1/4 " available I still don't see it holding up for long. The LP siding (wood particles and resin) and the Hardi-Plank (fibre cement board) both will hold up very well for many years, your grandchildren will play in the clubhouse. Good Luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts