DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
I would add sleepers over the rafters and add another 7/16 osb and vent that top and bottom so heat from the roof can get out before it gets to the attic. Other than that improve venting and add more insulation.
Neal beat me to it.

We call this a cold roof. The sleepers/strapping and the vented space theoretically drains the warmest air out through the ridge vent and the attic stays cooler. The concept is used up here to avoid ice damning in the winter time as well, particularly on cathedral ceilings.

Reactions: Nealtw

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So, they are being a little vague, but are saying it is NOT a radiant barrier but IS a "thermal break". So, the foil is doing nothing and the 1/4" or 1/8" foam will provide a little r-value. If you want to put a little foam under shingles (and there are a LOT of products out there) that's fine, but it's a waste of money to pay extra for the aluminum foil layer when it's doing nothing. Let's assume the bottom of the roof deck DOES drop 8-12 degrees with 1/4" foam under the shingles. On a hot-sunny 90 degree day the bottom of the roof deck can easily be 150 degrees or hotter, so this isn't much of and impact. WITH the airspace, the bottom of the roof deck will be close to ambient (I'm all for this application and I've got videos explaining this at RoofingFoil.com). .

Just one thought, stripping away the benefit for keeping the said room (cathedral ceiling) cooler, what is the likelihood that this product will help keep the heat in during the winter? Any appreciable difference?

Thanks!

21 - 22 of 22 Posts