DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys....

You recently helped/advised me on some panel/sheathing insulation... and I got some poly/iso. Thanks... it is the best insulation factor available

Application... On top (recesed) of ceiling joists (trap door) in uninsulated attic. Location is southern Nevada and objective is to minimize /insulate against heat gain in the summer.

As it has a reflective side and a printed side, I thought the reflective side should go toward the side that heat would be reflected.... in this case up toward the roof.

But, I called GAF and their technical people said they were only allowed to say that the printed side should be on the side that you were installing it from. They would offer no explanation of the difference of the reflective or printed side.

This seemed confusing to me... for instance as siding, this puts the reflective barrier inside... but if applied from the inside under drywall, it is the reverse. Same for roofing.

Their website read/said the same.

What would you do.... Thanks in advance.

Best

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,106 Posts
That reminds me of the old question about Aluminum foil placement on a turkey.

Shiny side up, or dull side?

The answer is : It don't matter, because the shiny side is just an effect caused by them needing to use different kinds of rollers to keep the manufacturing process moving.

I would think that they want the printed side out , so people can see the ADVERTISEMENT on it. :biggrin2:

And a good policy is YOU CAN'T PLEASE EVERYONE, SO JUST PLEASE YOURSELF!

ED

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ED.....

Interesting.... but sure seams that there should be an insulating consideration as to the two sides... seems to me a little different from the turkey analogy... but maybe not.

GAF sure has plenty of instructions as to its application... just does not consider my application.... and furthermore offers no explanation as to why/how the two different sides function.

And GAF "technical help" SUCKS.... You call GAF, and technical help there only guides you thru there website, and tells you they can not advise you in regard to an application that is not on there website... they can offer no explaanation of the two sides either.

Best

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,106 Posts
Actually I agree that the reflective side should face the thing that it's supposed to reflect.

And I have always put it on that way, It has always worked.

And unless they come up with scientific tests showing that the printed side out is proven more effective I am too old to change habits now.

ED

1 - 4 of 4 Posts