DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to leave one of those typical thin orange extension cords outside throughout the summer? I use it to connect the power supply for the pool robot since there is not an outlet where I need to connect the robot to that power supply box. I’ve been storing the cord inside during the winter. Should I be concerned about the cord breaking down at all during the summer and through any rain storms, etc?

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
It's not the best practice but you wouldn't be the first person to do it. Keep in mind, code says it cannot be hooked up/in use more than 90 consecutive days or it is considered a permanent application and extension cords are not allowed in permanent installations.

·
retired painter
11,830 Posts
Most folks with above ground pools do the same. I did when we had one. The main thing is to inspect the cord from time to time to make sure it's still in good shape. I assume it's plugged into a GFI protected receptacle.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'll just mention I have a 12-2 extension cord run about thirty feet between two buildings all year round. I just periodically check its' condition & have a replacement on standby. And it has been a couple decades and I've replaced it once.

The cord color has faded over the years but the function remains. Two buildings next to each other and the lead runs from an outlet in the first building to the wall panel in the second. Only because they charge over 25 dollars per month to have a second meter on the pole barn and the power is only used for lights. ( Rarely use the pole barn through the winter )

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
To be safe I bought some green electrical plastic conduit and ran the cord through that. Use a diameter big enough to get the plug head through.

·
Registered
525 Posts
What? There's pool cleaning robots that are powered by an extension cord? How is this different than throwing a toaster into a bath tub? What am I missing here? Holy crap!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What? There's pool cleaning robots that are powered by an extension cord? How is this different than throwing a toaster into a bath tub? What am I missing here? Holy crap!!!
The robot has a cable connected to it that connects to the power supply box, that cable connecting from the robot is not electrical, it’s just tethered so it can move around the pool. The extension cord connects to the power supply box since the power cord connected from the supply box is too short to reach an outlet near the pool.

·
Registered
Building my last home
1,161 Posts
The most important part of your electrical cord is that it is rated to be outside. There are different materials and the color is up to the manufacture.
Extension cord to a pool, scares me. Where is your GFCI protection on the cord and pool equipment?

·
Registered
567 Posts
It's sad that the code requirement to have equipment receptacles near the pool is ignored so thorough... and hence the need of those extension cords.

Swimming Pools and Spas Code Requirements (thespruce.com)
  • Receptacles for pumps and motors must be located between 6 and 10 feet from the pool walls, and they must be GFCI-protected and locked.
  • Outlet receptacles for general use can be no closer than 20 feet from a pool or in-ground spa if they are not GFCI-protected, and no closer than 6 feet away if they are GFCI protected.
  • On in-ground pools, there MUST be at least one GFCI protected convenience outlet located between 6 feet and 20 feet from the edge of the pool.
When were receptacle outlets near a pool first required to be GFCI? (howtolookatahouse.com)

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
It works until it gets hit by the lawnmower. Then it takes an hour to cut the twisted mess from the blade spindles. I mow my son’s rental properties and tenants hide all kinds of stuff in the grass.

Reactions: SoNic
1 - 14 of 14 Posts