DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi friends....

I'm about ready to convert my old fluorescents to LED's and would like your opinions in regard to several questions: This is for my personal retirement home and not a customer.

Backdrop:

Between a three car garage and soffit lighting in the home I have probably three dozen + tubes involved.

Cost is really not that important, but I don't want to waste/blow money.

Most are standard T12/ 4 footers but I do have several 3 footers so bulb availability is a consideration.

I am going non-balast, as most of my balasts are pretty damn old now and I know of no advantage to still using a balast...rewiring is no issue for me.

Quesstions:

With regard to going to either one end bulbs or 2 end wired bulbs (I don't mind buying some non-shunted tombstones)
A) Is there any performance or operational issues between the two methods.
B) Is bulb availability (different kelvens or CRI's or size) an issue between the two methods.
C) Is "DIMMABILITY" an issue between the two methods. And do these dimmable tubes really work ok or should I not entertain trying them.
D) Any pros/cons I am not considering between the two methods

With regard to this one type tube I seen as available that has a slide switch on the tube to change /alter kelvin between 3K-35 and 45, any idea if that works worth a darn...... if it does work ok, I might really want that adjustment for all my interior soffit lighting as my wife does not know what we want for kelvin.

With regard to dimmability, assuming you tell me they work decently and I decide to get dimmable, how difficult will it be finding a compatible dimmer switch....or is it pretty universal now.

With regard to BRAND or SUPPLIER, do you have any recommendation. I'll likely be using "1000 Bulbs" on the internet, but I'm open to your experience and thoughts.

\With regard to any other considerations or your experience and opinions that I've not considered...all or any are appreciated.

TIA

Peter

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I agree with you to use 1000bulbs.com. they are located in my hometown and use them regularly. Never had an issue like I have with Home Depot bulbs.
I like double ended feed, but either is fine. Standard tombstones on 4' bi-pin tubes work fine with single end feed.
Dimming is usually no problem with a dimmer rated for LED (CL type).
I would use 3000K color inside and perhaps 4-5000 K in the garage. Even if you are stuck liking incandescent color (2700 K), I would "clean up your act" and say goodby to candlelight.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with you to use 1000bulbs.com. they are located in my hometown and use them regularly. Never had an issue like I have with Home Depot bulbs.
I like double ended feed, but either is fine. Standard tombstones on 4' bi-pin tubes work fine with single end feed.
Dimming is usually no problem with a dimmer rated for LED (CL type).
I would use 3000K color inside and perhaps 4-5000 K in the garage. Even if you are stuck liking incandescent color (2700 K), I would "clean up your act" and say goodby to candlelight.
THANKS WIRED...!!!!!!

Quick question (I'm an old F) what does "CL Type" mean/refer.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One day, single end tubes will disappear and you will have to rewire your fixtures again. Unless of course, you like doing that..... :)
JOE,,,,,THANKS !!!!!!

No...I really do not get off getting on a ladder and rewiring.... but your comment is exactly what I'm concerned about.

Can you tell me why you expect one hot end will disappear..????

Best

·
Licenced Electrician
2,461 Posts
JOE,,,,,THANKS !!!!!!

No...I really do not get off getting on a ladder and rewiring.... but your comment is exactly what I'm concerned about.

Can you tell me why you expect one hot end will disappear..????

Best
I think contractors will dictate that when they bid jobs. They will not want to have to change tombstones. They will buy large quantities of double end and pretty soon the single end manufacturers will spend the other 4¢ to make theirs double end.

That's my theory anyway. :)

AS to switchable colors, that technology has been around for a couple years now. While I have not used switchable tubes, I've used plenty of switchable wafers. With wafers, the price difference is so low, it's hardly worth mentioning. My wholesaler only stocks the switchable wafers these days.

Brands? Buy quality from a reputable manufacturer.

·
Big Dog
3,659 Posts
Why not just replace the fixtures? Three wires and a couple of screws and your done.

I did this with the fixture in my kitchen and the ones in my garage. Because of the greater light output of LED, I was able to put a smaller fixture in the kitchen but get greater illumination.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why not just replace the fixtures? Three wires and a couple of screws and your done.

I did this with the fixture in my kitchen and the ones in my garage. Because of the greater light output of LED, I was able to put a smaller fixture in the kitchen but get greater illumination.
DRACH.......I probably have 18-20 fixtures...all florescent.... Sure seems to me to be easier to just quickly rewire them for led and a heck of a lot less expensive than replacing 18-20 4 ft and 3 ft florescents light assemblys. Just snip some 18 guage and remakeup and drop in a tube....just leaving the perfectly fine existing light assembly., no repainting around new fixture or finding new mounting holes, no drilling new mounts or lifting new assemblies overhead on a tall ladder.... etc

"Three wires and a couple of screws and your done." Not exactly ...maybe you're thinking cans...but I've got 5 overhead garage assemblies and a mess (12+) of ganged soffits.

But thank you for the idea.

·
Registered
9,530 Posts
Why not just replace the fixtures?
That is fine if one is going to use the integrated LED style - lots of good choices. But I have searched for fixtures prewired for T8 replaceable bulbs. The few I found were all really junk. Maybe I have less selection up here. Ended up buying florescent fixtures and removing the ballast.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is fine if one is going to use the integrated LED style - lots of good choices. But I have searched for fixtures prewired for T8 replaceable bulbs. The few I found were all really junk. Maybe I have less selection up here. Ended up buying florescent fixtures and removing the ballast.
SPS......Thanks...

Did you rewire one or two hot ends. Did you find many different kelvins and Lumens available.

Have you tried the dimmables

What Brands did you feel comfortable or at least good with.

TIA

·
Big Dog
3,659 Posts
DRACH.......I probably have 18-20 fixtures...all florescent.... Sure seems to me to be easier to just quickly rewire them for led and a heck of a lot less expensive than replacing 18-20 4 ft and 3 ft florescents light assemblys. Just snip some 18 guage and remakeup and drop in a tube....just leaving the perfectly fine existing light assembly., no repainting around new fixture or finding new mounting holes, no drilling new mounts or lifting new assemblies overhead on a tall ladder.... etc

"Three wires and a couple of screws and your done." Not exactly ...maybe you're thinking cans...but I've got 5 overhead garage assemblies and a mess (12+) of ganged soffits.

But thank you for the idea.
I did not realize there was than many. I can understand why you want to just do bulbs.

·
Licenced Electrician
2,461 Posts
For a plain jane LED tube at a good price the Sylvania ECOLED are hard to beat. Don't have the part # handy but wholesale price by the case are about $8.00CAD or less. Double ended, color of your choice.

·
Registered
9,530 Posts
See also my post #30 from THIS thread.

Perhaps I am a little paranoid, but it was important to me that the bulb/fixture maintained its UL/CSA rating.

I have not heard of dimmable LED tubes, and anyways, I would always have them at full brightness anyways. Dimmers almost sound like a good idea, but I have found that, in the past, I NEVER dim my lights. Now, I have zero dimmers in my house.

I went with double ended bulbs. (I could get into what I read about why single ended bulbs even exist, but DE makes the most sense to me, and I think they are becoming more common).

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I love real fluorescent fixtures. Nevermind my real-fluorescent usage in 4' sizes.

I love them because they're free, and because older ones are pretty well built.

I go with LED "tubes" anytime I'm dealing with a fixture other than 4' or 8'. Opposite end of course (removes tombstones from the table) and I don't consider 120V on pins 1/2" apart to be particularly safe in my environments, which can be high humidity/condensing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts