DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally I was thinking about building a lean-to shed next to by big shed just for my riding and push mowers. I have since talked myself out of that idea since It would end up blocking a window on the side of the shed.

My new idea is to just build a small shed big enough to hold both mowers. I have a small corner section of space in my back yard that's 10' deep(fence to opened gate) and 8' wide (fence to big tree). This little section is almost level and is in fact the only area of my yard that is actually level. I'm thinking of building a 6x8 shed with a roof, floor, and 3 walls leaving the front open. In the winter time I have a cover for my riding mower.

Any unforseen issues with this? I think I'll use decking boards for the floor since rain will get it in.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I built a 16 bye 16 5wo story barn, bottom for machines storage, top for workshop. Fast forward ten years......said structure has wife's pottery studio on łTop, her showroom on bottom....and has ten foot wide lean two sheds on each side...supposedly to hold my machinery....but of course her garden stuff needs one.....so my Z-turn kubota sits in one half, my tiller and her garden stuff sits in the other.....and my 16 hp garden tractor sits under a tree...while my push mower sits in my garage. Moral of the story....can nNEVER have enough storage!!!!,

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am well aware of that fact. Lol. I built a larger shed than everyone said I needed because I I didn't want to end up like a lot of other houses I see with 3 or 4 small sheds. I knew I needed as big a shed as I could afford at the time and over 3 years or so I've already acquired lots of large items that have filled the shed to the point I can't even get to my work bench anymore which is why I want the mowers out now.

·
Usually Confused
9,135 Posts
A permit may be required depending on your municipality. A roof requires posts which requires digging holes so don't get too close to that tree. The last thing I would put on the ground is deck boards. They will rot. Rain will get in, the ground will become compacted from use, the roof will block the sun from drying it out and it will become an unholy muddy mess. If you want to go the economical way, put down some patio stones. If your walls are to be wood, keep them about 6" off grade or they will rot as well.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plan to build a floor with 2x6. That's what I meant with decking boards. I don't want to put plywood down with all the water that would get on it. I don't need a permit as long as the shed is less than 10x10 or something along those lines last time I looked into it. I wouldn't really call this a shed, more of a horse stable for my mowers without a door.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my head I'm thinking a 2x6 floor leveled out with blocks and then 4x4 corner posts with those wood panels (can't think of what they are called) for the side and back walls and metal roof panels on the roof.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I was considering these actually for my floor supports. 3 across front and back and 3 the middle. Are these adequate? Are these designed to hold 4x4s vertically and 2x horizontal?

Edit: I'm talking about deck blocks. Couldn't get picture on here

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
In my mind I'm going to basically build a free standing deck with 3 walls, a roof, and an open front. It's either going to be 7x8 or 7x7 so 4x4 skids should be good right?

I'm going with a very basic design with the front 8' tall and the back 7' high. No trusses or anything like that. Just metal roof panels screwed to 2x6 framing and 2x4 joists

·
Registered
14,700 Posts
i am building my shed right now. 3 walls are up. building the front wall and roof today.
mine is 10'w 12'L. its on 3 4x4x12' PT skids.

btw. if you have no 4th wall. MAKE SURE you have plenty of bracing !

if it doesn't matter = do at least a 8x8 shed. that way 4x8 plywood will fit just right with much less cutting.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Go with the flo.
Lumber is sized to 8' lengths and you will save your self a lot of grief if you start thinking that from the get-go.
Learned that lesson meself😨.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Go with the flo.
Lumber is sized to 8' lengths and you will save your self a lot of grief if you start thinking that from the get-go.
Learned that lesson meself😨.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
I'm aware and I would just make it 8x8 but that would put it right up against the big pine tree. Gonna end up being 7' wide and 8' deep. Luckily I have a miter saw on a new stand with a stopper so I can cut the 7'ers quick and easy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.