DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Then there is the “Reverse 911” service to consider - where the local safety office uses landlines to call you to advise you of a nearby danger.
That reminds me of the last big storm here that ripped parts of roofs off and snapped power poles in half and knocked out the power for days, etc. I was in the living room at the time, the sky was mostly sunny if I recall, and had no warning.

My cell phone wasn't near enough to hear it, the landline didn't ring either for any alert, but an extra cell phone I use as a media device, it has no cell carrier service plan, it popped up a big danger warning alert.

I had never seen that before so figured maybe it's serious. Then I squinted into the distance and saw the darkness coming fast and blotting out the sky like it's a disaster movie or supernatural horror movie. In the basement two minutes later, the howling winds sounded one step short of a tornado. Glad I had the no-service cell phone around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
but an extra cell phone I use as a media device, it has no cell carrier service plan, it popped up a big danger warning alert.
That's far out. Maybe a weather app on the phone pushed it through WiFi? Regardless, I'm glad you had that, too, @FM3 !

People who are adamant that the cell carriers always work have missed the earlier threads from folks who were directly affected by "no cell carrier" situation during wildfires in their areas.

Like I said - if I lived in tornado alley, maybe I'd ditch my landline, too. It all depends on YOUR experience, YOUR location. I happen to live in a location where the landline infrastructure is good, but the mobile tower infrastructure has been sketchy at times - including once when most of my town lost major carrier cell service after gale-force winds affected the alignment on the towers.
Reverse 911 over POTS has worked for me.

My cordless phone set has a base station that plugs into my POTS line, so it works unless the Central Office goes down.

Also, it turns out I wasn't reaching too far with the pillow-head comment. I just found this:

Be safe, everyone. Layers of safety are better than counting on a single source. @FM3 's post is proof of that. What services you choose as your layers is up to you.

·
Ron Van
35 Posts
We haven’t had a landline in around 15 years. Don’t miss it a bit. My ex- son in law texted my daughter and threatened suicide. We called 911 and the cops found him within minutes sitting in his car a block from my house. I don’t worry about 911 finding me anymore.

81 - 83 of 83 Posts