DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
The reason I use an OBi with my Google Voice line is to interface with my wired house phones. A call incoming on my GV line rings all my house phones vs trying to find and answer on my cell. If I am away from the house I answer with the GV app.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk
I dropped my land line years ago, but kept my land phone. It has Bluetooth which connects to our mobile phones so when we get a call it rings all of the land phone extentions we have around the house. Works great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Turbo.....We have both land and cell.....yet we get scammers on both...tell me your secret.
DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
donotcall.gov register your numbers there and it becomes a crime for them to call you. not sure if or how it is enforced buy I haven't received those calls since registering my numbers

·
Registered
5 Posts
DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
donotcall.gov register your numbers there and it becomes a crime for them to call you. not sure if or how it is enforced buy I haven't received those calls since registering my numbers
All of our numbers are in there, yet they still call. Read an article the other day where they say it's almost impossible to enforce since they spoof numbers.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Costly being not able to connect to 911 because of no cell service.
If cell towers are down, and the internet is down, probably best to just take the person having the emergency to the hospital yourself, because the all the first responders are likely already busy, anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
City of Seattle et al uses a 3rd party service whereby you can register your email for 911 location as an adjunct to already existing (though just growing) cellular geo pinpointing.

Separately, where I used to rely on land line during power outages, the current craze to insist and convert to digital phone service rendered that obsolete... to where once power is out, and cell phone service disrupted, my fallback is amateur radio communication gear

·
Registered
122 Posts
I got a NetTalk Duo a few years ago - VOIP. It includes e911, so you put your address in your profile, and if you call 911 from it, your address is still supposed to display on their side. A lot of noise on the line at the moment, but I don't know if it's from the NetTalk Duo, my phone, or something else in the picture.
I use this phone to enter on all web sites where salespeople will be following up. They can call there all they want.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When Ma Bell started charging $70 a month I said enough. Cable provider would charge $20 a month extra, but I got an Obi box and Phone Power for $5 a month with 911 service. 6 (or 7?) phones on the wire. We ported the number we've had for 45 years. Cell coverage is bad here, so we have Google Fi which uses wifi calling. I have the same number as my wife, but different area codes, easier to remember.

Now if we could stop the robocalls. Do Not Call register is a bad joke, like our politicians.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I want to cancel land line telephone service at home. I can get combined unlimited wireless phone calls and adequate mobile broadband data
for lower monthly cost.

I've heard some people will keep their land line in addition to their wireless plan, because the land line is more reliable to call for emergencies
I don't want to spend money for both. I've never used my smartphone for voice calling, only for internet. Isn't cell phone reliable enough, if one needs to call police/fire/rescue?
What I really like about the landline is this: I give my cell number to no one outside of family and friends. Everything else gets the landline. All those online thingies that REQUIRE a phone number to move on and, Dr's, dentist, UPS, Fedex, Harbor Freight, Hair Salon.. sometimes it may be legit, but I have to have someway to separate myself from all those telemarketing companies that are networked somehow with all the other companies...the cell is sacred...
Saw a couple of great posts. The Google Voice and 911. I have only ever used a cell to call 911; it seems to work fine, but I did need to give them my address, or intersection. If something happened at an unfamiliar address and I was unable to search out the address, they should be able to get the location from the phone, unless of course I had my phone's GPS turned off; then it might take EMS longer and be less acurate. Oh, and now there is that new app that auto rolled out and installed itself (thanks to Google and all those EULAs we all eXed) that allows everyone to piggyback off each other's router. There could be some location data made available to EMS with all that...
One of our local providers (Spectrum/formerly Brighthouse) recently offered an internet/phone (landline) bundle that was way less than the triple play (tv/internet/phone).
What I really like about the landline is this: I give my cell number to no one outside of family and friends. Everything else gets the landline. All those online thingies that REQUIRE a phone number to move on (???), Dr's, dentist, UPS, Fedex, Harbor Freight, Hair Salon... We keep one handset ringer on in the house (landline), so it is either in another room which is not too bothersome but we can screen with a nearby handset. Or if the ringing phone is nearby we can check the call, and either take it or mute that one ringer.
I find that it is often best to let Dr's offices leave a message. If I were to get the call while I was out on the go, I could never remember half of what they told me if it hadn't been for the massage message...
nothings gonna be perfect in this game...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes...DJLAND is correct, but I have tested it on our system and seems pretty reliable in relaying to my local police.

I'm an old F---, addicted to having phones throughout my home and not carrying around my cell phone everywhere.

I did switch to OOMA for the home phones...which is VOIP (voice over internet) and have been very happy with a monthly home phone charge of $5. And you can get a host of fancy services for $10/month if you need such.
I have had Ooma for probably 15 years, it has been much more reliable and the price cannot be beat. You set up your address as part of the signup and when you call 911 it sends them your address.
You can set it to call your cell phone at the same time, or use the Ooma phone app too.
If you have young kids at some point they will need to use a phone before you want them to have a cell phone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In that interval, how many 911 calls did you make?
I called 911 last week from my cell. A map came up with my location on it with a message stating that it was being sent to 911. Not sure if it was ATT or android that the message was from.
I've been without a landline for almost 20 years. No cable TV either.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Also depends on where you live. I am in a major city, so cell reception is quite good. I haven't had a landline for years. One benefit I like about not having a landline is that I can remove all of the phone cables which seem to permeate an older house. I think I removed a couple miles of old phone lines from my house and three old boxes from the exterior of my house.

I use Straight Talk (owned by Wal-Mart, I think) for my cell phone. Unlimited calling and texting and 3 or 4 gigs of data for $38 a month.

·
Registered
appliances
1,082 Posts
I called 911 last week from my cell. A map came up with my location on it with a message stating that it was being sent to 911. Not sure if it was ATT or android that the message was from.
I've been without a landline for almost 20 years. No cable TV either.
I'd like to see the 911 call failure rate for landlines vs. other means, but I doubt these numbers will see the light of day.

Different stokes for different folks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was stuck in a storm in Rhode Island which affected cell service. Not only did I lose cell phone usage, but my gps was down because my cellphone was down. Now I travel with a regular GPS and as much as a ripoff it is, I still have a home phone.
GPS on a phone can use cell towers to help pinpoint you, but it mainly relies on satellite. GPS on a phone may need cell data for the maps and directions, but that is only if the person is using a GPS app that relies on that.

Plenty of GPS apps have the maps and guidance built in and are stored on the phone. And anyone reading this who doesn't have at least a backup GPS app on their phone with built-in maps should install one soon in case they need it.

Regarding other parts of this thread, during the last big storm that caused lots of damage to my area, the landlines were knocked out but my cell phone still worked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When thinking about ditching your landline, it all comes down to the reliability of the POTS (Plain Ol’ Telephony Service) experience at each reader’s home.

Lousy quality/reliability? Is it all arial cable from the center of town to your house, and you live in tornado/hurricane alley? Fine, I would probably ditch my landline too, especially at $70/month.

But, gentle readers - without me going into a million “what-if” scenarios, please think of access to 911 as a critical tool. And then recall what every Special Forces member says:

”Two is one...and one is none.”

Safety protocols should be layered - not single-threaded.

Then there is the “Reverse 911” service to consider - where the local safety office uses landlines to call you to advise you of a nearby danger.

As for VoIP instead of POTS, well - I wouldn’t want a human life depending on a $200 SOHO-class WiFi router - no matter how good the UPS that it’s plugged into. Ever go to use the Internet and the only way to get it working is to reboot your cable modem, then the router, etc?

Imagine doing that techno-dance in between chest compressions on your loved one - just so you can get a call out to 911. No thanks. You can have my POTS service and telephone that works without a battery over my dead body. Literally.

Also, a mobile phone should have a lock screen enabled. Can you get it open in the middle of the night when woken from a dead slumber? Does the face recognition recognize your pillow-face? Maybe I’m stretching a bit there, but - these really are things to test.

BTW - I loved @quatsch ’s insurance calculations - solid data & reasoning!

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
As for VoIP instead of POTS, well - I wouldn’t want a human life depending on a $200 SOHO-class WiFi router - no matter how good the UPS that it’s plugged into. Ever go to use the Internet and the only way to get it working is to reboot your cable modem, then the router, etc?

Imagine doing that techno-dance in between chest compressions on your loved one - just so you can get a call out to 911. No thanks. You can have my POTS service and telephone that works without a battery over my dead body. Literally.

Also, a mobile phone should have a lock screen enabled. Can you get it open in the middle of the night when woken from a dead slumber? Does the face recognition recognize your pillow-face? Maybe I’m stretching a bit there, but - these really are things to test.
Stretching a bit? Yeah, I'd say so. Who has a corded phone for their landline, anyway? Without power, your cordless phone won't work, either. And yes, I have used my cordless VOIP phone during a power outage, and it worked just fine. My 911 service for my VOIP number is registered to my address, so the dispatcher has it the same as the POTS.

My mobile phone doesn't have a lock screen enabled, and it doesn't need one. The best anyone could do if they got my phone is change the players on my fantasy football team; I don't do banking or shopping on my cell phone. The chance of having an urgent medical emergency at the exact moment the cell towers are all down, is so incredibly slim, you might be better served to spend the money for metal plates on your roof to guard against a meteorite hitting you in the head.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Shoot, I get so much spam on my cell I just use Silence Unknown Callers. Anyone else can F off or leave a message. Same with the landline—I don't answer it, either.

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,106 Posts
Many posters have commented that they have a POTS line that will continue to work. Maybe, maybe not. Unless you live within 5 miles of a TELCO central office, there is a good chance your POTS line works on subscriber carrier vs dedicated copper pairs. Subscriber carrier uses electronics to concentrate a large number of telephone lines down to a lesser number of physical copper pairs (or a fiber loop) from a central hub back to the Telco central office. These central hubs do contain batteries but no back up generator. Historically the batteries were poorly maintained and seldom lasted the 4 hours they are engineered for. I retired from a wire line TELCO 20+ years ago and I will bet the maintenance has not improved.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts