DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,080 Posts
The newer digital phones, Panasonic in particular, allow you to tie your cell phone to your house system via Bluetooth with or without landline service. The Panasonic allows two diffrent cells phones to be linked with distinctive rings.

Right now we also are using OOma but in the future may opt out and just use the BT connection.
COLBY...Thanks.....My home "landlines" are an older cordless Panasonic.....neat to know of that new invention.

·
Registered
210 Posts
But that only extends the use of a cell phone. It's a not separate system. And Yes I know that VoIP is also tied to the Internet. But it is kind of removed by one step.

Land lines are thing of the past. It's not a matter of it being a good or bad thing. It's just outdated. And phone companies can't afford to maintain the lines or the transfer stations. Slowly but surely the phone companies are non-commissioning land lines. AT&T is pushing the government to let them end landline service altogether. Plus many newer non-cell phones such as V-Tech require electric to operate so in the occasions when power is lost even an old landline won't be of much use.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Have internet service (160 mbps) only. Stream traditional tv channels (an app) and the usual subscription apps.
Added an ooma VOIP unit years ago, still pleased.
Old Sprint copper wiring (was and is) throughout condo. There was a hub point so disconnected Sprint from input. Loop throughout condo remained. Plugged ooma into this loop with standard RJ11 phone wire. ooma then also got an RJ45 ethernet cable between it and internet (ultimately to router/modem). VOIP phone (voice over internet).
ooma is good quality, very inexpensive and not used much (cell phones dominate). Panasonic wireless phone system in loop (hub unit plugged into loop, other handsets over radio frequency of hub). After purchase of ooma unit (refurbs work just as good), only monthly fee is (can be) taxes.
911 should be set up with ooma to a specific location. It can't tell your location.
Cons: Loss of power means loss of ooma 'landline', all internet. A provider of 'triple play' service with phone (really VOIP also) usually has battery backup but you pay significantly more.
If cell towers go down and power goes out, no service, worst case, low probability but can't charge a cell phone with no power. Charge from car. Drive around for cell service.

·
Registered
21,841 Posts
I didn't read the whole thread. Just wanted to say that I have different networks on cell phones and service is spotty on both at times. It may be related to the Wildfires.

Tracfone got the highest rating during Wildfires around 2015, but, I think they search around for reception.
I would like a landline again, in addition. Also have that emergency wind up radio.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
When we had DSL we did not have to have dial tone but the price was the same. Not required but no savings by opting out.

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,107 Posts
I didn't read the whole thread. Just wanted to say that I have different networks on cell phones and service is spotty on both at times. It may be related to the Wildfires.

Tracfone got the highest rating during Wildfires around 2015, but, I think they search around for reception.
I would like a landline again, in addition. Also have that emergency wind up radio.
TracFone is not a carrier, they buy service from one of the three nation wide carriers: Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile. Your coverage with TracFone depends on which of the 3 your plan uses.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,841 Posts
TracFone is not a carrier, they buy service from one of the three nation wide carriers: Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile. Your coverage with TracFone depends on which of the 3 your plan uses.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk
I heard that they used whatever worked during the fires. Oh well, misinformation, possibly..
It's not a plan, no contract, just minutes put on a $20 phone for emergencies. I wonder if they could switch around?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I use an Ooma box, under $100, plus <$5 a month. VOIP works fine, requires internet. Someday I'll scrap it for a cell phone, maybe.

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,107 Posts

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I too have OOMA for my VOIP 'landline' (for 12 years, no complaints). Modem, router, OOMA, and cordless phone base are connected to a small UPS that gives me about 20 minutes of phone and internet service when the power's out.

When at home, all of my family's Tracfone cell phones connect to wi-fi, so they don't use any data at home, church, etc. where they have wi-fi. We pay between $13 and $20 a month for the service on each cell.

My internet provider (Spectrum) offer digital phone (VOIP) for and extra $10/month on top of internet service. My FIL has that, and it works fine for him.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes...DJLAND is correct, but I have tested it on our system and seems pretty reliable in relaying to my local police.

I'm an old F---, addicted to having phones throughout my home and not carrying around my cell phone everywhere.

I did switch to OOMA for the home phones...which is VOIP (voice over internet) and have been very happy with a monthly home phone charge of $5. And you can get a host of fancy services for $10/month if you need such.
Me too. I like VOIP; It's part of my internet package deal, so in a way it's doesn't cost me anything. The only downside is when power fails, it doesn't work. But everyone in my house has their own cell phone. Also, I was able to port my old land line phone number to my VOIP phone, just by asking the service provider to do it. That way I keep my "home phone" the same number that it's been for 30+ years. Another advantage for me, my hearing is not good, so I get a free CapTel phone that has a video screen on it which has a close Captions feature; It's not exact transcription, because it relies on people listening and typing, and there is a slight noticeable delay in the transcription. But the transcript is great for understanding those with accents, mumbles, or very faint voice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I want to cancel land line telephone service at home. I can get combined unlimited wireless phone calls and adequate mobile broadband data
for lower monthly cost.

I've heard some people will keep their land line in addition to their wireless plan, because the land line is more reliable to call for emergencies
I don't want to spend money for both. I've never used my smartphone for voice calling, only for internet. Isn't cell phone reliable enough, if one needs to call police/fire/rescue?
This sounds great in theory. But with all technology there are issues. What if the cell tower goes down? Don't say it doesn't happen because it does. I was stuck in a storm in Rhode Island which affected cell service. Not only did I lose cell phone usage, but my gps was down because my cellphone was down. Now I travel with a regular GPS and as much as a ripoff it is, I still have a home phone.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
This sounds great in theory. But with all technology there are issues. What if the cell tower goes down?
Landlines go down, too. Anything can happen, but if you have cell phones and a VOIP home phone, wifi router and modem on a battery backup, that's about as good as it gets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Landlines go down, too. Anything can happen, but if you have cell phones and a VOIP home phone, wifi router and modem on a battery backup, that's about as good as it gets.
Copper wire doesn't need power to run a call. Yes they all go down. My point was that if you rely solely on cell service, it can be more costly than you anticipated. Lesson learned on my part.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
My point was that if you rely solely on cell service, it can be more costly than you anticipated.
I suppose, for really important people, being out of contact for a few hours could be costly, but for most of us, it's a minor inconvenience.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts