DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
The reason I use Obitalk is I can choose whatever Voip voice provider I want without having to deal with Comcast. Any interaction with them is just another chance for them to try to screw me and I can't stand playing their games. I could do google voice for free but my wife wants 911 and personally I don't like that google seems to want to track everything about me. I kinda wonder what data they collect on your voice calls as well. Not that much interesting happens on my phone.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
We have a device in our house that calls our cell phones if the temperature in the house falls below a point I set or if the power goes off. I kept our land line for that. We changed to a landline plan that has free incoming calls but charges a nickel or so for each outgoing call. We don’t call out. It is super cheap and the lowest cost option offered.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just as MTN REMODEL, I also have a VoIP (which I refer to as a land line). Had it or years. Bundled with my Internet and cable TV. I also have a cell phone which I don't use while at home. The VoIP phone has a terminal in almost every room and is very handy. Won't be without it. All the scammers and spammers get the blocked treatment on the VoIP while only friends and family know my cell phone, but are not blocked on the VoIP. Plus I can see who is calling on the TV with VoIP service. For very very little cost it makes for a good back-up.

·
Premium Member
2,959 Posts
We have a landline only because the ISP has it in a package deal. I called to drop it and if I did I would no longer have the "package" and my monthly bill would go up 20.00. We haven't used it in years but do have an answering machine on it for the rare time someone we know has it in their little black book instead of our cell numbers. An auto extended warranty company leaves a message about twice a year.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I'm an old F---, addicted to having phones throughout my home and not carrying around my cell phone everywhere.
The newer digital phones, Panasonic in particular, allow you to tie your cell phone to your house system via Bluetooth with or without landline service. The Panasonic allows two diffrent cells phones to be linked with distinctive rings.

Right now we also are using OOma but in the future may opt out and just use the BT connection.

Reactions: MTN REMODEL LLC

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't even use Google as a search engine. I don't trust them, and certainly wouldn't trust them with my personal calls.
(rhetorical question) So what type of business are you conducting that you don't trust them? There's no trust factor involved. It's not a matter of trust, more of an intrusion factor. And lets not get into the discussion about they having access to personal information. They all have it whether you like it or not and you can't prevent it. Even if you don't use them.
Annoying and intrusive ads, yes, but Google does provide the best search information. Ever try Bing? Not nearly enough info. But I don't let the intrusive stuff bother me. I just look past it. But the same thing happens if you search any store for a product. Lowes, HD, Harbor Freight, Amazon, e-Bay all send ads on any item you might look at. Unless you don't own a cell phone.

It make no difference how much you try to hide your buying habits, your calls, your searches or the stores you enter. They are in fact monitoring you. I recently went to the eye doctor. I'm now getting ads for eye care products. It doesn't bother me. And on occasion, it actually has helped me.

·
Premium Member
2,959 Posts
I use "Duckduckgo" search engine. I seem to get fewer adds concerned about my manhood. Personally I think you lose privacy when you establish an internet connection. I can look at something on amazon and start getting adds for it on facebook.

·
Naildriver
13,368 Posts
I use Duck Duck Go as a search engine and get more than adequate hits for what I am looking for. They do not inundate me with ads or click bait, and don't sell information. True, when you go to other sites directly, THEY will pop you with junk, but it isn't the search engine doing it.

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,108 Posts
We're stuck with a landline since our internet (DSL) is provided by them. We don't have choices. Windstream is it. Our local electric company is laying fiber optic, but they indicate we won't have it available in my lifetime.

I use aT&T call protect to rid my cell of spam, etc. It works well. Landline, nothing helps.
You do not have to have telephone service with your DSL
A naked DSL, also known as standalone or dry loop DSL, is a digital subscriber line (DSL) without a PSTN (analogue telephony) service.

A TELCOs are required to provide the service by FCC mandate.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,108 Posts
The reason I use Obitalk is I can choose whatever Voip voice provider I want without having to deal with Comcast. Any interaction with them is just another chance for them to try to screw me and I can't stand playing their games. I could do google voice for free but my wife wants 911 and personally I don't like that google seems to want to track everything about me. I kinda wonder what data they collect on your voice calls as well. Not that much interesting happens on my phone.
GV911.com provides 911 service for Google Voice lines for $12 per year. There are also sightly more expensive services that also give you 911 on VOIP lines

Reactions: Longshot_HN

·
Naildriver
13,368 Posts
You do not have to have telephone service with your DSL
While the FCC mandate may say this, the providers charge more for DSL than they do for combination services. So no real benefit from deleting phone service.

·
Registered
210 Posts
DuckDuckGo uses its web crawler, DuckDuckBot, and up to 400 other sources to compile its search results, including other search engines like Bing, Yahoo, and Yandex, and crowdsourcing sites like Wikipedia.May 21, 2021

It's not as benign as you may think.

edit....Your search terms, while they may be sent over your network in an encrypted form, show up in plain text in browsing history.

·
Registered
125 Posts
GV911.com provides 911 service for Google Voice lines for $12 per year. There are also sightly more expensive services that also give you 911 on VOIP lines

Anveo has a plan like that too, but I'll pay the extra to keep that Google busybody out of my business. Thanks for the tip though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
DuckDuckGo uses its web crawler, DuckDuckBot, and up to 400 other sources to compile its search results, including other search engines like Bing, Yahoo, and Yandex, and crowdsourcing sites like Wikipedia.May 21, 2021

It's not as benign as you may think.

edit....Your search terms, while they may be sent over your network in an encrypted form, show up in plain text in browsing history.
So there's no getting away from "Big Brother"?

·
Registered
210 Posts
So there's no getting away from "Big Brother"?
Not really. But DuckDuckGo will prevent a lot of the tracking that you get from other search engines. I'm not saying it's bad. In fact I'll use it in addition to Google.

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
In the past 5 years or so, we have had a major earthquake, several major wild fires, and several precautionary power outages. Cell tower’s have loaded up, and it can be damn hard to get service. During one of the fires, between the smoke blocking a lot of the sunlight and the heavy useage, some Of the cell towers went off line.

The prolonged power outages also impact the internet phone services. Dump the power in the city where the communication center, it will kill the internet phones unless they have sufficient generators and/or fuel onsite.

A lot of people have wireless handsets scattered thru the house. If they don’t have battery backup on them, phones don’t ring.

A landline and a old fashioned phone are the best way to have at least one way to communicate with friends/relatives when they are trying to get hold of you to see if you are all right.

·
Registered
Building my last home
909 Posts
I dumped my land line 10 years ago. I have internet and a cell. If your cell is recent enough when you first connect it to the network it will ask you to tie an address to the number. I have a Galaxy S10, new to me in the last 50 days. Old one wore out.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Ok. Thanks. I don't need all these services and want to keep it simple and economical. I don't talk much on the phone. But there are some good ponts to consider here.
I'll have to think about this

21 - 40 of 83 Posts