DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to cancel land line telephone service at home. I can get combined unlimited wireless phone calls and adequate mobile broadband data
for lower monthly cost.

I've heard some people will keep their land line in addition to their wireless plan, because the land line is more reliable to call for emergencies
I don't want to spend money for both. I've never used my smartphone for voice calling, only for internet. Isn't cell phone reliable enough, if one needs to call police/fire/rescue?

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,129 Posts
I cancelled my landline and moved the number to Google Voice
Calls to that number come in my cell phone on the Google Voice app.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mff Dvr

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
There is a big difference when calling 911 from a landline vs. cellphone. The landline is tied to an address so they know where you are and the call is routed to your local emergency responders. When you call from a cellphone, the call will likely go to a regional call center and then redirected. You may also need to tell them your physical location.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,110 Posts
There is a big difference when calling 911 from a landline vs. cellphone. The landline is tied to an address so they know where you are and the call is routed to your local emergency responders. When you call from a cellphone, the call will likely go to a regional call center and then redirected. You may also need to tell them your physical location.
Yes...DJLAND is correct, but I have tested it on our system and seems pretty reliable in relaying to my local police.

I'm an old F---, addicted to having phones throughout my home and not carrying around my cell phone everywhere.

I did swiitch to OOMA for the home phones...which is VOIP (voice over internet) and have been very happy with a monthly home phone charge of $5. And you can get a host of fancy services for $10/month if you need such.

·
Registered
appliances
1,141 Posts
The fidelity of our land line/fiber optic is much better than other services.

Ma Bell (RIP) and Western Electric (RIP) would have never put up with cell phone fidelity or reliability.
IIRC, the Bell System demanded a 300 Hz to 3000 Hz passband, enough to understand speech and enough to recognize the person speaking.

You know how much money you’ll save each month by quoting the landline.
How much is it worth to you to have 911 be able to help you. What dollar amount would you place on it?

Believe it or not, you have already made this calculation, but you should at least know what risk you are taking on, be it large or small.

All I need is the dollar amount from above for me to post this whole ”risk equation”.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Cell phones can be tied to an address for 911 purposes. The reason I would not is if the quality of cell coverage is not sufficient to keep you happy. I would try to go a month or two without using the landline and see if you miss the quality of calls on it compared to your cell.

·
Registered
appliances
1,141 Posts
Turns out I don't need the OP.

I don't write insurance policies but the chance of me dying within a month is 1 in 370.
If I save $50 per month by not having a landline, my life would have to be worth $18,500 for the equation to balance.
If it's $60, my life is worth $22,000.

The lowest value on a human life I've seen is a cruise boat contract: if you die on the boat your heirs get $72,000 but they have to go to court in Switzerland to collect.
I'd need to save $194/per month.

If more people depend on your landline, it's also more.

·
Super Moderator
14,969 Posts
Cell phones will plot on a location map and go to the closest 911 call center. I would not hesitate the drop a landlines and did it years ago. A phone tied to a cable provider may show as an incorrect address if you have moved and records were not updated.

Never noticed an issue in 3 years superving a dispatch center.

Reactions: lenaitch

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Turbo.....We have both land and cell.....yet we get scammers on both...tell me your secret.
Until recently, never got any on the cell phone buy just today i had to have my mobile service put a scam filter on my line. My phone can be set to block numbers but those same numbers can leave a voicemail message. No way to stop that but since they put the filter i havnt had any more. Time will tell. The same number was calling a dozen times a day. I googled the number and its an electric bill scammer. Also reported the number but not sure that does any good.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I cannot conceive of having a landline. Dropped mine 20 years ago and haven't looked back. I spent 20 years responding to 911 calls in the field and never had any problem locating the caller.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the responses which I read thoroughly. I also read about Obitalk online. If VOIP requires a paid monthly broadband service, can't you get the same thing and more with a combined and economical voice calling and broadband Internet plan?

Is the whole purpose of using Obitalk and VOIP, paying a little extra to get better voice quality on the phone?

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,129 Posts
The reason I use an OBi with my Google Voice line is to interface with my wired house phones. A call incoming on my GV line rings all my house phones vs trying to find and answer on my cell. If I am away from the house I answer with the GV app.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

·
Naildriver
13,404 Posts
We're stuck with a landline since our internet (DSL) is provided by them. We don't have choices. Windstream is it. Our local electric company is laying fiber optic, but they indicate we won't have it available in my lifetime.

I use aT&T call protect to rid my cell of spam, etc. It works well. Landline, nothing helps.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts