DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A house in my wife's hometown that she has loved forever just came on the market at a great price because it needs some work. I've done lots of DIY projects and I think I can handle all of this, but I have a question about something I'm not sure of

This is a big old rambling single story home that was originally clapboard siding. Sometime in the 50's or 60's they poured a footer around it and put up austin stone siding. Not a thin veneer, the stuff is several inches thick. The house is a pier and beam. One end of the house has settled several inches and the footer for the stone didn't. So the stone has buckled in a few places and there are cracks in the mortar. I pulled a few pieces of stone off and looked behind it. The clapboard looks to be in good shape, but i was surprised that they didn't use any tar paper or anything. I would pay to have it leveled and then I would pull down any stone that needed redoing and re-install. I've done a lot of cultured stone projects, but never worked with full dimensional stone.

The asking price is very very good, less than 50 bucks a square foot. Has a good roof and we love the layout. Quite a bit of cosmetic work inside, some of it due to the settling.

What i'm wondering is, would the stone problem cause any of you to walk away?

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
I'm not a mason--but the cosmetic nature of that stonework makes it 'NO BIG DEAL' in my book--I would not be aftaid to buy the house if that is the concern---

If you see a good value in the rest of the house --go for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might be a good idea to see if you can find out why the house settled and not the footing for the stone, house raising can get expensive.

I plan to have the house leveled. Probably cost 5k. This is 2600 Square foot house with an asking price of 125k. I've got lots of room for repairs.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I plan to have the house leveled. Probably cost 5k. This is 2600 Square foot house with an asking price of 125k. I've got lots of room for repairs.
Had to read that twice. When you said leveled, I thought you meant tear it down, then I saw the price. If it only cost 5k to level, that sounds like a bargin. I really don't understand why the old footer settled, and the new one didn't, if they poured them next to each other. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had to read that twice. When you said leveled, I thought you meant tear it down, then I saw the price. If it only cost 5k to level, that sounds like a bargin. I really don't understand why the old footer settled, and the new one didn't, if they poured them next to each other. Any ideas?

LOL. I didn't even consider that interpretation. I dont believe the old house has a footer, just piers. So far I'm inclined to believe that the stone footer goes deeper and is more stable. I'm going to have my foundation guy give me his best guess as to what happened. Only about 1/4 of the house has a settling issue.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
LOL. I didn't even consider that interpretation. I dont believe the old house has a footer, just piers. So far I'm inclined to believe that the stone footer goes deeper and is more stable. I'm going to have my foundation guy give me his best guess as to what happened. Only about 1/4 of the house has a settling issue.

There are footings under the piers, and it might be a good idea to have a soil test done, you don't say where the house is located but in some parts of the country they have an expansive clay soil, that can and doe's cause real headaches for foundations.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
woody, in a perfect world there'd be footings under piers :whistling2: our 1864 home in upstate ny had no footers either under piers OR main laid stone fnd :no: not even below today's rqd frost depth, either,,, yet it sat there fine for over 120yrs when we bought it

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
woody, in a perfect world there'd be footings under piers :whistling2: our 1864 home in upstate ny had no footers either under piers OR main laid stone fnd :no: not even below today's rqd frost depth, either,,, yet it sat there fine for over 120yrs when we bought it

Yeah, your absolutely right , should have said there SHOULD be footings under the piers, of course we don't know when this place was built either, I have a niece that just bought an 1860 something place, and it has the same kind of foundation you describe, only difference is it's about 40 miles outside of Nashville.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
I don' know your market... but I cant believe that you do not have a HELL of a steal... with plenty of "fat" for any re-leveling necessary... and add to that that you and wife love the layout.

The leveling/facade cracking is probably scaring away the rest of the market...perfect storm... you love it, can do it... and no competition.

GOOD LUCK.... I'd be writting on it in a NY minute.

Best

1 - 11 of 11 Posts