DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Opening up a hole in my load bearing wall

999 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Nealtw
I would assume both of these walls may be load bearing due to the large column with 5 2x4's. I have some questions about opening up the walls some more. hope you guys can help!

My plan is to open up the wall between the kitchen and the living room. We also want to put an island in.

this is a split level home, and vaulted ceilings.

my question is this. Can i cut away the three studs. I plan to build a large frame that will go in side the wall from the large column to the left outside wall. as seen by my Red box on the wall. below it will be the cabinets.

Property Building Wood Interior design Floor

Furniture Wood Bookcase Building Shelf
Property Building Wood Interior design Architecture

Building Property Lighting Wood Interior design

Building Property Lighting Wood Interior design

Brown Wood Wall Rectangle Gas

Property Building Wood Lighting Lamp

Wood Building Flooring Floor House

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
8,907 Posts
If rafters are conventional and nothing else is supported by that wall. I would assume too and what can single width wall support? Still, I think it would do away with all doubt by cutting away small strip of ceiling drywall and make sure the rafter is same as others (assuming). If yes, then frame as you want without the header. Too bad that switch prevents you from getting rid of the whole thing west of the post for beam.
If that is a light switch (another one on the post?), is it possible to add a remote receiver for light fixture power cable and use remote receiver and switch? Maybe just add an outlet at the ceiling and change the light fixture into plug? Remote switch does need battery but with lithium replacements for conventional batteries, I think the batteries will last longer.

· retired framer
70,292 Posts
If this is a full length 2x4 is it is worth looking deeper,
If it is just blocks between studs I would install a header with 2 jacks under each end.
Wood Gas Fixture Metal Hardwood

All the studs under the beam and ones right beside it should not be touched.

· retired framer
70,292 Posts
We would expect a rafter above that and all is fine but if we were short of rafters that day a join over the wall would pass inspection. So you would have to open it up so you could inspect the rafter over the intended hole or just add a header.
If you found a join in the rafter, you might just sister a piece to it.
If the rafter is good all the way, you could open it right to the ceiling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.