DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am using a receptacle test on my outlet and getting "open ground" error. i see there are 3 hot wires and 2 nuetral wires. 1 hot wire is connected to the ground terminal. would this mean i have 3 hot wires and no ground???

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
You need to get a voltage tester. I doubt that a hot is connected to a ground, that would be a dead short unless the ground is in fact not grounded, in which case it would be an open hot, very dangerous. Best way to check is to measure voltage to ground and voltage to neutral on each of the wires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes its 3 black and 2 white, i just put a continuity tester on it, all 3 black are hot, i am assuming i have no ground, how would i ground this properly

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
If there are no ground wires in the box (older, ungrounded wiring), then there is no easy way to ground it. The safe and code-compliant solution is to replace the receptacle with a GFCI. Wire it so the incoming power (one of the hots and one of the neutrals - and you have to use the right ones!) goes to the "line" side, and the other hots and neutrals go to the "load" side. One note, though: it doesn't make sense to have three hots and two neutrals. Can you explain in more detail how these are connected? Is one half of the receptacle switched?

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
A continuity tester wouldn't be the right tester; I think a volt meter or 120 v AC test light would be more useful and safer IMO.

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
i am using a receptacle test on my outlet and getting "open ground" error. i see there are 3 hot wires and 2 nuetral wires. 1 hot wire is connected to the ground terminal. would this mean i have 3 hot wires and no ground???
Are you telling us that the receptacle has two straight pins and one U shaped pin with a black wire connected to the green grounding screw on the receptacle?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts