DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found 6 receptacles on the circuit, all of them open ground. I have rechecked the grounds and commons in the main panel, and actually tightened all of them again. Didn't find anything amis at the main box. Two of the recep boxes did not have grounds, so I fixed them, and actually replaced all 6 receptacles. Still have the issue. I checked every switch that we have and nothing appears to be on that circuit. It is all receptacles so far. Is that normal? I even checked all of the motion sensor lights , and nothing included in my circuit.

Any ideas out there? Even though the breaker has not tripped - could it have gone bad?

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
You may have to check the junction box either in basement or in attic and also check the light switch location as well to make sure you have good ground connection.

What type of cable it have in there now ? NM or BX or other ??

Merci,
Marc

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
How did you "fix" two boxes that didn't have grounds?

Reactions: Stubbie

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There were no ground wires on the ground screws of the receptacles. I used the wires inside the box to go to the screws and also ran a ground wire to the metal boxes they are in. I basically copied one of my good outlets.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
K buz is there any way that a breaker went bad, and didn't trip, causing the open grounds in 6 boxes? Also is there any reason to check other circuits in the house. These were the only ones so far that showed on my Snap It tester, and they are all on the same circuit?

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
No, the breaker has 0 effect on the grounds. This circuit is either tied into an ungrounded circuit or the ground connection has not been properly made in a junction, device, or fixture box.

Reactions: commnche

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
I'm not much of a fan with those receptacle testers, do you know which breaker in your panel protects the circuit these open ground receptacles are on?

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
I asked because I was'nt sure if you had 3 wire romex. The panel is the best place to tell if you do or dont. I read the other post and it says you have 3 wire romex which I assume means hot , neutral and bare ground. I also assume that the circuit in question shows these three wires in the circuit breaker panel?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.