DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
walt1122
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty sure I know where this will end but I'm hoping I'm wrong. Have a second hand table saw. The 1 HP 1726 rpm electric motor just doesn't have the oomph when the blade gets a llittle dull to do a good job of cutting. I saw a 3 HP 3,450 rpm motor at Harbor Freight on clearance sale and bought it but it is clock wise rotation and the table saw is set up with counter clock wise. The 1 HP has the option to change rotation by changing couple wires (that is what the original owner must have done and I didn't notice) but I don't see this on the 3 HP.

So is there anything I can do to change the C.C.W to C.W??

and no it isn't 3 PH wish it was!

thanks

Walt

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
where's micromind when you need him. He could tell you how to take that all apart and rewire it to run any way you need.

but, since he isn't here, what type of motor is it and what connections do you have in the motor junction box?

·
licensed electrician
45 Posts
single phase cap start induction motor? these motors have 2 kinds of coils with a centrifugal start switch. you have the start winding, and the run winding. the start winding goes to a capacitor. you can reverse this winding or the run winding to make it go in reverse. Just don't reverse both of them :D or it will still go int he same direction

·
Super Moderator
21,575 Posts
Any motor can be reversed. Some are just more difficult than others and require dismantling the motor.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Pretty good percentage of single phase motours the #5 and #8 leads just reverse it but a serious warning please verify the nameplate to make sure due some motours will have diffrent connection.

Before we can give you more advise in here please post the model number of that motour so we can able help you with it and some of the motours are NOT reverseable at all.

Merci,
Marc

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
This must be a belt drive saw. What diameter blade? What is the current pulley ratio? I would think a 1 HP motor would work fine if it is set up correctly.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
This must be a belt drive saw. What diameter blade? What is the current pulley ratio? I would think a 1 HP motor would work fine if it is set up correctly.
That is a good question if 1:1 ratio it is not a issue but overdrive then you will have issue due the RPM on the blade.

The main issue is the blade size that will affect the RPM rating I know 10 and 12 inchers are pretty much limited about 4000 to 4500 RPM the 8 inchers will be about 6000 RPM depending on the type of blade itself.

Merci,
Marc

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
whats the harbor freight part number single phase motors can be changed depends on the maunufacturer:huh:
Yep that correct due some of the Capaitour start motours can do that but again it depending on the set up of the motour itself.

The best answer is verify the nameplate they will mention it very clear.

Merci,
Marc

·
walt1122
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi All. sorry for taking so long to get back to the question I posted. Read the many posts and thanks for the feedback.

I'm trying to upload some JPEG's to make this easier.

Basically the mounting hardware will not allow me to modify the placement of the motor to allow it to be reversed.

The ratio is about 1:2 sawblade (10 inch) has a one inch pulley and the motor has a three step pulley I added so it can be adjusted from 3 inch down to 1 inch and I'm on the 2 inch size now so the blade should be rotating at about 3,600 RPM's. I can run a new 20-40 tooth easy enough but when I go to a not so new 60 tooth fine cut it wants to bog down and the 1 HP motor slows and strains. The 60 tooth cuts fine on the chop saw.

The schematics allow either low voltage 120 or 220 high voltage by changing the wires. The motor does not have numbered wires like many I've seen. Just color coded with what looks like the cap wires doubled up on the run posts? Wires to short to reverse them. Would have to put extensions on them if this is the right thing to do.

Chicago Electric Power Tools Model #HDN56MRC34D31 SKU 30189

Can't seem to get the attachments to work. System says they are to big. Can't figure out how to make them smaller in size, just simple digital camera photo's in JPEG format.

I'll try again tomorrow.

thanks

Walt

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Easy way to shrink photos from digital cameras for attachment is open them for editting using paint, then under image pick stretch/skew and type in 25% under horizontal and vertical and usually that works, adjust your percentage if needed just use the same for both.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
You do realize that this motor is wired for 120 and will draw 18+ amps and probably trip the breaker on start up.

·
walt1122
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi wareagle, yes you missed

So is there anything I can do to change the C.C.W to C.W??

and no it isn't 3 PH wish it was!

from the first post.

Hi 47 47 yes I have 20A breaker feeding the motor and I may elelct to modify the motor to 240 if it does pop the breaker. Motor plate says it is 14A at 120V.

thanks

Walt

1 - 20 of 27 Posts