DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there -

I have a sump pit with perimeter drain tile in the northeast in the basement. House is about 30 years old and the drain tile is the black corrugated tile. We bought the house about a year ago. I noticed that the sump barely ever ran and the drain tile was dry even on a rainy day so I stuck a camera in there. I noticed there were a lot of mineral deposits so I cleaned it out using a sewer jetter with a rotating head attached to a pressure washer at about 2700psi 2.3 gpm. A lot of silt and mineral deposits came out. Pipe didn't appear to get damaged.

Now during a rain, one side of the drain tile drains at a pretty good rate and the other side is a trickle. Both are draining better than before. I have a video but can't link it here until I have atleast one post. I'll post it as a reply to this if possible.

The side that is a trickle runs around the side and back perimeter of the house that has very steep grading away from the house which is good. The other side runs around the front which is also well graded away from the house but not quite as steep.

Basement has always been dry even before the jetting. It is finished and no signs of water seepage with the exception of around the sewer pipe penetration. Fortunately, that's right near the sump pit anyway and just drains right into it. Will probably put some hydraulic cement there.

So my question is, should I be worried about the side that is a trickle? Should I just chalk it up to the grading or is there something to worry about here? Jet it again?

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
If there is no leakage into the basement then I would not be concerned. It could simply be that your yard drainage is good and water is not getting around your foundation.

·
Usually Confused
9,155 Posts
As Joed says, so long as your basement is dry I wouldn't be concerned. If the two drain circuits are separate, then it probably means the dry side has better natural drainage. If they are two outlets of one circuit, it's just the way it is draining. Perimeter drains aren't installed with an engineered slope. The perimeter drain at our sump has a cobweb growing over it - sandy soil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.