DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

until I can upgrade my wiring I have a question...I have old cloth type wiring with no ground and my question is all my outlets are old school with only two prongs can I upgrade the outlets and not having the ground wire hurt any of my fixtures and washer/dryer?

Thanks

Z

·
Registered
64 Posts
You could put GFCI outlets, you would only need one at the beginning of the circuit and all the outlets connected to the load side of the GFCI will be protected, you should also place the "No Equipment Ground" label on the outlets that come after the GFCI.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Computer type equipment should have a ground. Like lcd tvs, etc. But yes, you can install gfcis to use three prongs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could put GFCI outlets, you would only need one at the beginning of the circuit and all the outlets connected to the load side of the GFCI will be protected, you should also place the "No Equipment Ground" label on the outlets that come after the GFCI.

Thanks for the response......This is an old cinder block house so all outlets run from a j-box in the attic down wall seperatly,can I put in some type of gfci breaker and then just change outlets with regular 15a?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts