DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cut out some old tongue and groove sub-floor to install a new bathroom in my bedroom. Now that the plumbing is complete, I've cut 3/4" plywood to for the new sub-floor. Unfortunately, the old tongue and groove planks are about 1/16 to 1/8 inch thicker than the plywood I've laid down.

How can I go about matching the height of the plywood to the height of the old boards?

I've read the using a leveling compound is not ideal because it will crack when nailed/screwed into. I'm thinking I could either shim it up or put some kind of thin board on top. Once I get the sub-floor flush and level, I'll be adding 1/2" backer board over the sub-floor for tile. Any recommendations you have are appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I could do that. How could it be done in a half hour? I imagine it would take days to get through all that wood with a chisel. Maybe I can find a place that rents out a flush cut tool.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
From your pics, it only looks like a few inches around the edges, except for the triangle by the door?
Or is there more not shown?

Chisel around nails, hammer them down deeper when cleared.

See if your local BB store rents a Fein multimaster type tool? That'd go quicker, I imagine.

DM

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
You can use 1/8 inch thick plywood, glued down. Works fine. You can sand the joint between the T&G and the plywood to make it perfect. Once you place the backerboard over the floor, no one will ever know, and I am not talking. Alternatively, you can skip the backerboard and use straight thinset, assuming the floor is stiff enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts