DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an old T&G pine floor that someone years ago decided to drive a bunch of ring shank nails and finish nails through to try to quiet. Then they put down carpet over it. I hated the carpet so I ripped it up and the pine is beautiful except it needs refinishing. The finish nails I can drive further in with a nail set but I'm worried they'll pop up again over time and ruin any new poly I put down after sanding. I don't know how I can sand with the heads of the ring shank nails exposed. How do you guys deal with this when you see it? I hate to cover with a new floor.

TIA

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Take extra caution when sanding---often the sparks from the sander will ignite the sawdust----

So always empty the bag into a metal can well away from your house---each time you stop sanding.

Every floor guy I know has a smoking sanding bag story----don't join the group----

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Interesting idea to grind the heads off with a dremel. I'll call that my backup for where the nail heads don't have enough lip to grab with the cars paw. This is going to be way more labor than I was thinking.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Fixing someone elses lousy patch job is always more work---

You will be thinking about how easy it would have been to do it right the first time----

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
I helped a homeowner save a bad pine floor----man, that looked gorgeous when it was done----

That floor was so black,worn and just plane ugly before we started-----

After sanding---I applied two coats of wipe on poly----lightly sanded with fine paper--then three coats of brush on poly----sanded lightly after the second coat----

Looks great----they wanted new hardwood but the budget was not there---now they are glad they save the beautiful old stuff-----

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.