DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yes you can paint them.Cleaning is key.Several manufacturers have epoxy kits just for tile applications.I have used Rustoleum specialty tub and tile, it has an epoxy in the kit that is made for high gloss tile it is supposed to imitate pocelain when finished.Only problem with it though you are limited in color choices.If you have a matte tile you can use an oil enamel but either way it should be scuffed with sandpaper.

·
Premium Member
7,809 Posts
In a word......NO! As I have said many times on DIY Chatroom. ..........in the history of bad ideas, painting tile is definitely in the top 5.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Gymshu I have to respectfully disagree.I painted a neighbors bathroom tile and tub with the Rustoleum kit over 4 years ago and it still looks great.I know that a counter top will get more wear but I think it would hold up ok with as long as you didn't use an abrasive cleaner on it.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I will mediate here. It CAN be done but (IMO) it should NOT be done by a DIY:)
Let me go one step further.

It CAN be done but (IMO) it should NOT be done by anyone.

Reactions: chrisn

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I'll take it to the next step; Someone already screwed the pooch when they put tile on a counter top in the first place so you have absolutely nothing to loose by painting it.

Reactions: Gymschu

·
Stuck in the 70's
2,208 Posts
First and foremost: The reason tile is so popular in kitchens and baths is because NOTHING WANTS TO STICK TO IT. This includes paint.

With the right products and prep, you can paint it, but it will be a very delicate surface ruined by the first person who forgets to use a cutting board.
AND IT WILL LOOK LIKE PAINTED TILE.

Another vote for "Don't do it".

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
It will always look like you painted or whatever over tile.

And do you really want paint chips in your salad?

I've heard thick paint tastes like chicken.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts