DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
HVAC / Plumbing
1,801 Posts
I would test that t.stat b-4 replacing parts. I've seen those t.stats go bad. You can sometimes apply a little more heat (using a match along with the pilot burning) to the flame switch (if that's the problem) & get it to close & make the circuit

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well, went over to tinker a bit (grand-dad would be proud...LOL).....

First thing I tried was pushing the top control in to go to "manual" mode....nothing.

Then I took the cover off of the control valve and found the two wires for the flame switch. Jumped those. Nothing.

Then went up top and jumped the two wires at the control.....nothing.....then decided to test the thermostat and found that it seemed to be passing voltage fine.....then back probed the two wires for 120v...NOTHING.

Started messing with the timer on the BOTTOM and lo and behold I got voltage at the two wires....put the control back together and it lit right up!

So not sure if the timer just needed some movement after not being touched for years or if it is going bad.....

Oven seems to be working for now at least.....cycled on and off a couple times.

So I guess we'll see...will keep you all posted.

Thanks so much for the advice and help! I dont know how people learned stuff before the web....something called "books" I assume...LOL

·
#1 HAWKEYE FAN
1,903 Posts
so what you are saying is that it was set for a delay bake cycle, LOL, glad its working for you. I can't begin to count the number of stove service calls I've run that the customer had bumped the dials and set it for delay.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I really dont know.....at the start I turned the top dial (the one marked 'push for manual') and pushed, etc.

After I di all the other stuff it was the bottom dial.....I turned it a couple times and noticed the voltmeter spike....

Still seems like something is wrong with the dials/timer to me.....I was pushing the top one like crazy and nothing. According to the manual, I shouldnt have had to turn the bottom one at all..... ???

I guess I'll know if the "fix" sticks or not after a while.

:whistling2:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yeah, that was your problem. all three dials have to be at the same time, regardless if timer still works...you're Grammys little manie-in spite of what Gramps used to say about you.:thumbup:

21 - 25 of 25 Posts