DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope you all are well.

I'm about to reside my garage. Adding OSB (or similar) with vinyl siding (or similar) on top of that. I've got this old fuse box (sub panel?) in my garage and I am not familiar with these. I've done a fair amount of basic electrical wiring around houses but just never worked with this before. Questions...

1. I want to remove the electrical coming in to this box before putting on the OSB. What do I need to know to safely disconnect and remove the wires to this box? The main panel of the house has a breaker for this fuse box. I can shut that off. Should I be aware of any other dangers after that?

2. Any recommendations/pitfalls to be aware of when running the wiring back into the garage after residing?

Thanks friends!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,898 Posts
Turning the breaker off in the house should kill all the power to the fused disconnect. You have a couple of issues, the cable feeding the disconnect is for inside only. Second you would be better off to replace the disconnect with breakers.. Thirdly, the grounding is not correct.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turning the breaker off in the house should kill all the power to the fused disconnect. You have a couple of issues, the cable feeding the disconnect is for inside only. Second you would be better off to replace the disconnect with breakers.. Thirdly, the grounding is not correct.
Much appreciated. Thank you!

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,113 Posts
What is the amps on the house breaker supplying this fussed switch? Is it a double pole breaker?

Sent from my RCT6A03W13E using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the amps on the house breaker supplying this fussed switch? Is it a double pole breaker?

Sent from my RCT6A03W13E using Tapatalk
I took a look at my main breaker box and I see a double pole breaker (30 amp each) labeled for the garage. I also see another 20amp breaker labeled for the garage but I suspect that it doesn't actually go to the garage because as far as I can tell only one wire goes out there. Will have to do some testing when I get a chance.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Needless to say, after you turn off the breaker test for electricity before you touch it. I have seen weird things like someone connecting two breakers to one circuit so it is still energized after turning off one breaker.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,113 Posts
Shut each breaker off individually and see which kills the power to garage.

What is in the garage that uses power, lights, receptacles, other?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
By trial, error and testing, determine which breaker supplies that box. Then, turn it off and open the panel deadfront (warning: always-live stuff in there!) Then remove the wires from that breaker and cap them off safely. Only then can you disassemble anything.

In other words, you are not allowed to protect wire work that's torn up like that, by merely turning off its breaker. It should be assumed that if a family member has an unrelated electrical problem, they will go into the panel and throw any and every breaker trying to cure their other problem. The system must be maintained such that they can do that safely.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Even thou you know it is off ?
Always test everything BEFORE you touch it !

The most important rule in electrical work

Always treat it as live untill you have tested it, and proven other wise !

:vs_cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.