DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1940s house and the walls are all plaster. Underneath the plaster finish, there is a rock mixture and then there is some kind of board which looks a lot like modern drywall. It's about 1/4" thick and in approx 2' x 4' sheets. Other houses in the neighborhood have the old time wood lathe under the plaster. What kind of board do I have? Anyone know?

·
Super Moderator
22,170 Posts
It was the transition between wood lath and drywall. It was called rock lath and most that I have seen was 16"x4' sheets. It replaced the wood part of the wood lath and plaster walls. It went up much faster than nailing all the small wood strips.

·
Mold!! Let's kill it!
2,849 Posts
What you have is "rock lath". That was the name for sheet material that was applied to walls and was then plastered over. A lot of 1940s-50s-60s buildings used it before drywall became popular. Rock lath was originally a brand name for plaster board. It is normally 16"x48"x3/8", but there were other variations. Rock lath eliminated the base scratch coat that got applied to wood lath.

·
Super Moderator
22,170 Posts
And to correct common mistake it is lath not lathe. Lathe is a tool for make things round.

A wood lathe.

Wood lath

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

Thanks guys -- you're exactly right. It was 16"x4'. I'll tell ya --- that plaster & rock lath is saving me a little money on heating and AC since there is no insulation behind it! Just a little money though -- better than plain drywall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts