DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am replacing the decking on this front L-shaped porch with Trex. I've exposed all the framing by removing old fir decking. I have a couple questions about the framing and stability of the supports. As you can see there's just a couple concrete blocks holding up the porch in a few spots. The main frame is 4x6 and 2x8 true because it's all original barn wood. Wondering if these footings are going to be adequate for the Trex as it's going to be much heavier. Wondering what the best process would be with this deck looking for some expertise, I'm not looking to make this into a gigantic project I want the most direct efficient route. I have an idea of what to do but I wanted to get some other input too. Thanks so much!

Attachments

·
retired framer
63,353 Posts
By today's standards there is everything wrong with it, but it has stood the test of time.
The concrete blocks should be changed for proper support with concrete.
There real question is how much time and effort you put in to the old or just replace it all.
I don't think the weight of trex would an issue but it does call for joists at 16" on center or 14 1/2" between them
Every piece of wood and connection would have to looked at for repairs needed.
I think it is really a coin flip which way you go.
Your old floor was likely tongue and groove and little water got thru, as it is not treated and with trex all the wood would need to be wrapped with a water proof membrane Not just the top like we do with new but both sides too.
Wood Gesture Font Publication Hardwood

1 - 2 of 2 Posts