DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Old adhesive for kitchen sink removal

118 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  chandler48
I have a kitchen sink that was probably installed 15 years ago. The clips slipped so I am using those metal brace kits for DIY'ers. I should be able to handle that. I got clear silicon adhesive. DAP Ultra Clear which is not cheap. If this is wrong, please let me know. It adheres to wet surfaces.

My problem is the old adhesive on the stainless sink edges. Ideally, I would pull the sink out but it has a disposal, the pipes etc. The old nasty adhesive is kind of black and brown. It is kind of hard to get to. I tried Goof Off Gunk and Adhesive Remover Gel. Not very good. Bleach. I have cheap cleaning white vinegar which would be acidic which seems to work the best. Any suggestions? I have a straight edge box cutter type of blade but it is fairly slow going.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Naildriver
23,268 Posts
Link us to the brace kit you mentioned. Lexel is my go-to sealant in wet areas. Post a picture or two of your problem area, as we may have a work around for you.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Link us to the brace kit you mentioned. Lexel is my go-to sealant in wet areas. Post a picture or two of your problem area, as we may have a work around for you.
This is the brace system. It seems pretty straight forward for an average person to handle it.

The bigger issue it getting rid of the old adhesive from on the stainless steel sink edges. I have tried nail polish remover, cleaning white vinegar, Goof Off Gunk and adhesive remover, 70% alcohol. I think I will have to just keep using goof off and scraping with box cutter blade. Not a lot of room to work with Any better old adhesive remover? Mineral spirits? Thank you.

· Naildriver
23,268 Posts
Is the old adhesive showing? If not, don't worry about it. Seal the undermount like it is shown in the video. BTW, that is an awesome solution to a problem that happens all the time with undermounts. Can you post pictures of the adhesive problem?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts