DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm swapping out our old light switches for new leviton ones. I've noticed that after I screw the new switch into the electrical box, the top of the part of the metal backing for the ground screw touches the top of the electrical box. The electrical box looks like it's plastic to me. Is this safe? Is it supposed to be like this? Or does there have to be a space between them? I've provided 2 pictures.

Attachments

· Registered
1,162 Posts
Why do you not have a ground wire around the ground screw on the boxes that are plastic?

From the pictures I see that it looks as though the switches are self-grounding but that is only in the case if being installed into a metal box that is grounded. If installing into a plastic box you should be using a ground wire.

· Registered
10,391 Posts
(The same touching occurs when the switch or receptacle is screwed to the box.)

All ground wires (equipment grounding conductors) entering a box are properly interconnected (bonded). Also the switch mounting strip (yoke) and the box if metal are to be bonded to said ground wires, using pigtails (jumper wires wholly within the box) if needed.

Screws holding cable clamps and screws relying on the wood behind to dig into are not sufficient to hold ground wires to the box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.