DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scrubbed and cleaned my decking last month ready for oiling, but things have got in the way and I didn't manage to get the oil onto it while the weather was good.

The decking is already pretty old and I'm worried the winter will wreak havoc with it I leave it as it is, but it's in a shady spot and just won't dry now the colder damp weather is here. Will oiling it when it's even slightly damp just seal the wet inside and damage it more? Would laying a tarp over it for a week or so be enough to let it dry sufficiently for oiling? Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
Oil it, what in the world are you taking about?
Decks in the US are stained not oiled.
No one knows where you are since there's no location in your profile.
Lay a tarp over it and it's never going to dry out, but mold sure will set in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in England, land of the long damp autumn. Or fall if you prefer.
Was told that oil was the best thing to restore the natural protection of the wood, we have a brand called Ronseal that's supposed to be pretty good.

Yeah I did wonder if a tarp might just make it worse, but I'm just not sure that if I leave it open to the elements the deck will ever be dry enough to treat this side of spring.

Just got my first place and everything needs doing, so learning my diy skills the hard way and in a hurry!

·
Registered
579 Posts
You need a moisture meter. You can buy one fairly inexpensively. You didn't say what kind of wood your deck is made of but on treated material here in my part of the world most deck products cannot be applied if the moisture content is over 14%

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I've no idea what wood the deck is made from, I only just moved in and the deck has been here for some time.
So, assuming that the moisture content is over 14% there's nothing I can do, and unless the level drops to under 14% I just have to leave the deck naked for the winter?

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
There are products that you can put on a damp deck. At least here in the States they exist. I can't recall the name of the product, but, I have known people who have used it with good results. I would go ahead with your plan because putting something on is better than leaving the deck unprotected. Decks are just one part of a house that requires constant maintenance. You will be putting something on it every couple years or so.......so I say go for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.