DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am completing an oil heat to natural gas conversion. We switched over today. Now I'm waiting for a company to come remove the oil tank and old boiler. I have about 1/3 tank of oil that I paid for. I was told they cannot give it to a neighbor, the company keeps it.

Is there anything I can do or just let them have my oil for free?

·
Banned
30,022 Posts
They have to recycle it. They can't give your neighbor your oil because of a bunch of hoops and concerns about contamination. If you want your neighbor to get it, have them come and just pump it out and put it in their tank. Little drill pump and a 5 gallon container would do the trick. Maybe not worth the effort, but thats the option.

·
Registered
14,094 Posts
You should check, but I believe fuel oil can be used in any diesel tractor. Could also be burned in a diesel vehicle but it is dies red as no road tax was paid.

IMO, best to say good by and let them deal with it although I'm sure it will be going into someones fuel tank.

Bud

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
We used to remove them for nothing just to get free oil. There might be some sediment on the bottom but the oil should be ok.

Reactions: Windows on Wash

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They have to recycle it. They can't give your neighbor your oil because of a bunch of hoops and concerns about contamination. If you want your neighbor to get it, have them come and just pump it out and put it in their tank. Little drill pump and a 5 gallon container would do the trick. Maybe not worth the effort, but thats the option.

Thanks. Def not worth the hassle. Have a good one!

·
Registered
14,094 Posts
Not sure how fussy they are in your state but when they remove it be sure you get some signed paperwork saying they are responsible for the tank and any contents being properly disposed of. A bad example would be someone drains out what oil they can and then abandons the old tank somewhere and it ultimately is discovered. At that point they trace the ownership back to fine and charge for any clean up. And that means anyone and everyone who owned or handled it.

They should know this so asking for the tracking shouldn't surprise them.

Bud

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.