DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
sweaty
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I get oil changes, oil drips from the filter area onto the starter motor. On one of my old cars, I had gotten a cover for the starter to prevent it from going bad. Yes, I know the motors are supposed to be sealed and won't get a problem from the oil, but I don't believe it.

Does anyone know where I can get starter covers for my 2000 Ford Taurus and 2001 Nissan Sentra SE?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
The main reasons for starter failures is a weak battery and excessive heat. Putting a cover on the starter will trap in the heat.

·
Drinks Mobil 1 5w-30 oil
15 Posts
^ What 47_47 said above is true. Try folding up some foil to help "guide" the oil dripping down from the oil filter housing into a drain funnel/pan. Or you may even be able to find an appropriate sized funnel (with tube/hose) that can sit above the starter and catch any excess oil draining from the oil filter area.

·
Portlander
18 Posts
That happens all the time. These car makers put the filters in some of the worst spots. Just wipe the oil off the starter. You can also try putting a largest plastic sandwitch bag over the oil filter when you crack it so that all the oil drains into the bag instead of going ALL over the place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts